2015 Is the Cardinals Year

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Concussed
Everyday Player

2015 Is the Cardinals Year

Post by Concussed »

The Cardinals will win the World Series in 2015. Book it.

How do I know? Because that's the way it feels. Sorry, but I have no sabermetrics to support my prediction. No Fan Graphs. No Win Shares. I have nothing, except the feeling around this ball club. It feels like a winner, like past winners.

In 1964, we were destined to win. Maybe we weren't the best team, but if we held on, you knew the Phillies would choke. We knew we would win when a young kid named Gibson was throwing bullets. Dick Groat was the 1964 version of Matt Carpenter in that you could not get him out. When you went into the 9th inning with a lead, you may as well have walked the dog, because the game would end with Barney Schultz coming in from the bullpen for a boring good morning, good afternoon, good night...Cardinals win.

Gibson broke his leg in 1967, but when it happened I remember how it felt: that we would win anyway. It seemed like Brock led off every game with a home run, that every time he got on base he stole second. Nelson Briles and Dick Hughes filled in during the regular season, and held down the fort until Gibby returned to win 3 from the Red Sox in the Series.

Now, it's 2015. Waino's hurt. Do we fold? No, Midshipman Mitch Harris comes in and shuts down the Brewers. I'm telling you, it just FEELS right. Little things like Bourjous...he doesn't have to play a prominent role like it was expected when he first arrived. We have now a superior late inning defensive replacement, a center fielder who could start for plenty of clubs.

It's a feel-good year...is anything funnier than watching Holliday and Reynolds chugging around the bases last night?

We're loaded. Enjoy it, because we will win. Hurry back, Waino. We'll be OK until you get back.

Felix The Cat
Perennial All-Star

Re: 2015 Is the Cardinals Year

Post by Felix The Cat »

Ewing theory? More liek Wainwright theory, m i rite?

Concussed
Everyday Player

Post by Concussed »

Felix The Cat wrote:Ewing theory? More liek Wainwright theory, m i rite?
Call it what you will.

Mine is not a theory provable by the scientific method. There is no way I can prove it by any kind of reasoning known to man, be it inductive, deductive, or otherwise. I know my reasoning to be accurate only because the ghost of George Kissell appeared to me in a dream, and gave its blessing to my prediction.

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

1987 had the same feel, with the injuries to Tudor and Pena and others. And if the Twins hadn't been cheating, we'd've won that WS too.
Last edited by Jmodene on April 26 15, 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Jmodene wrote:1987 had the same feel,nwith the injuries to atudor and Pena and others. And if the Twins hadn't been cheating, we'd've won that WS too.
Or if it had simply been an even year, the Cards would have had home field advantage.

Good news is the Twins suck and the Metrodome has been destroyed. Hopefully the NL wins the All-Star game this year.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

If you need sabermetrics to back this up, statistically the Cards WS record is 1-0 in years Wainwright has a season ending injury.

Concussed
Everyday Player

Post by Concussed »

33anda3rd wrote:If you need sabermetrics to back this up, statistically the Cards WS record is 1-0 in years Wainwright has a season ending injury.
And I'm afraid it IS season ending.

Looking at the MLB replay of the game, when Waino begins to run to first base, he looks behind him. In his post game interview, he indicated that he looked behind him because he though something--such as a catchers mask--had struck in the back of his leg, down around the ankle.

You don't have to be a WebMD maven to know that such a medical history describes an Achilles's Tendon injury. If so, tonight would probably be the last we see of Wagonmaker the 2015 season.

With Waino out, and Garcia having left shoulder problems already, it looks like we'll get to see just how reliable my "feeling" really is.

Vidor
You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™

Post by Vidor »

I haven't checked, but I assume they salted the earth around the Metrodome, like the Romans did Carthage.

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

Vidor wrote:I haven't checked, but I assume they salted the earth around the Metrodome, like the Romans did Carthage.
It was Ozzie who brought it up in his autobiography. Something about the A/C at the Metrodome.