Twins call up top prospect Byron Buxton

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Re: Twins call up top prospect Byron Buxton

Post by JL21 »

jim wrote:I don't know what the expectations were from evaluators for those other players, but that has to carry some weight as well. I realize proof is in the pudding, but I'm one who thinks that if evaluators are consistently giving top marks to a player, there is a valid reason and it should be taken into account. In other words, Luis Matos who topped out at the #11 prospect in the Orioles organization and a 10th round draft pick isn't necessarily a perfect comp to Buxton. He simply did not have the raw talent and tools to work with.
Oh, I definitely agree with that. That said, there are a lot of other comps in there who were pretty highly regarded by scouts and evaluators.

Baez was #5 on the BA top 100 list as recently as 2014, Andujar Cedeno was #2 in 1991, Carlos Gonzalez was #22 in 2008 and #18 in 2007, Minty Fresh was #82 in 2011, Newfield made every BA top 100 from 1991 to 1995 (topping out at 17th in 1992)...

Berra, Andres Thomas, and Matt Williams all pre-date the top 100 lists, but Thomas got as high as #4 on the Braves' list (and was in their top 10 three years in a row), and Matt Williams was the Giants' #1 prospect in 1987 and 1988. It's safe to say that Williams would've been a top 100 had the list existed at that time. Thomas... is a little murkier.

Basically Matos (and possibly Berra) is the only one on either comp list who wasn't beloved by scouts and evaluators at the time. Of the 9 that I listed, 5 made the BA top 100, 4 were in the top 20, and one more would have made that list had it existed at the time. Another was probably right on the cusp (Thomas).

sneakypower
Fringe Major League Player

Post by sneakypower »

i think ultimately he ends up going through kind of a Carlos Gomez career path, but hopefully for the Twins sake they show enough patience this time around to reap any of those rewards

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

Craig Edwards did what I did with Buxton comps, except he did it a ton better:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/what-byr ... torically/