WHAT!?! FBI Investigating the Cardinals.

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: WHAT!?! FBI Investigating the Cardinals.

Post by ghostrunner »

Seems pretty easy to understand suspecting a lower level employee. You'd assume people higher up would know better. I don't know who or how any people said intern. Maybe you guys could source that.

Mortimer's post is a sweeping generalization about what was clearly speculation for its own sake, which is something that goes on here every day. In addition to tossing things around in our head, we bounce them off each other. "Do you suppose this happened?" "I bet it was something else." We don't have to source speculation. Look at the political topics in social and the presumption of other people's motivations without any real knowledge whatsoever.

slide_into_first
is unaware that dangerous is the real Tyler Durden

Post by slide_into_first »

There is a difference between the benefit of the doubt and blind Homerism. This applies to political threads as well and is not a joke.

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

Radbird wrote:Get off your high horses, people. Without speculation, forums wouldn't exist. This ain't the [expletive] New York Times.
And a good thing too, given they're about as accurate and unbiased as the internet themselves.

slide_into_first
is unaware that dangerous is the real Tyler Durden

Post by slide_into_first »

Regarding what "this forum" would say about the Cubs hypothetically, it would depend on their behavior. When Robert Kraft demanded an apology from the NFL, for example, it led me to believe they were guilty. The team owner, if sincere, would say what Dewitt said.

Bo Hart
Perennial All-Star

Post by Bo Hart »

ghostrunner wrote:Seems pretty easy to understand suspecting a lower level employee. You'd assume people higher up would know better. I don't know who or how any people said intern. Maybe you guys could source that.
Not sure if I was responsible for propagating that idea, but I did say something like, "even as a mere software developer intern at a previous employer, I had an alarming amount of access to private information and could've wreaked havoc if I wanted to." My point was just that people hear the term "hacking" and immediately assume it's sophisticated or coordinated, when really it could be quite basic and executed by someone young and inexperienced.

But just to be clear, that wasn't sharing my personal experience to the conversation for the sake of discussion. That was insiting that it was an intern in an attempt to clear the Cardinals' spotless reputation, while simultaneously rejecting any other possibility. But it's understandable, right? I was driven by deep-rooted, psychological, subconscious thought processes. My ties to the Cardinals are so strong that I'm incapable of being objective, and I instinctively make up excuses for them whenever they do something wrong.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Kyle wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:Seems pretty easy to understand suspecting a lower level employee. You'd assume people higher up would know better. I don't know who or how any people said intern. Maybe you guys could source that.
Not sure if I was responsible for propagating that idea, but I did say something like, "even as a mere software developer intern at a previous employer, I had an alarming amount of access to private information and could've wreaked havoc if I wanted to." My point was just that people hear the term "hacking" and immediately assume it's sophisticated or coordinated, when really it could be quite basic and executed by someone young and inexperienced.

But just to be clear, that wasn't sharing my personal experience to the conversation for the sake of discussion. That was insiting that it was an intern in an attempt to clear the Cardinals' spotless reputation, while simultaneously rejecting any other possibility. But it's understandable, right? I was driven by deep-rooted, psychological, subconscious thought processes. My ties to the Cardinals are so strong that I'm incapable of being objective, and I instinctively make up excuses for them whenever they do something wrong.
Actually I meant to say "who or how many". I meant that I understand why one would suspect a low level employee, and didn't recall many saying it was an intern.

Vidor
You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™

Post by Vidor »

I don't see anything wrong whatsoever in guessing that it was a low-level employee or intern, and I don't see how shaming is appropriate now that we've found out it was the scouting director.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Is it ok to call Luhnow an "idiot" and when someone says he's not an idiot to reply authoritatively with "And Luhnow made it easy for them." under the false pretense that Luhnow didn't change his password and someone just guessed it, something that Luhnow has called out as false? When we speak with that kind of authority based on just blind internet speculation, that's...well, it's blind. We collectively took it as gospel that Luhnow did not change his password and that he's an idiot, or naive at the most generous, and there was no source to that other than internet speculation. Anyone who questioned someone for calling Luhnow an "idiot" was quickly corrected, because of the false supposition that he didn't change his password.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

can i call this thread an idiot?

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

33anda3rd wrote:Is it ok to call Luhnow an "idiot" and when someone says he's not an idiot to reply authoritatively with "And Luhnow made it easy for them." under the false pretense that Luhnow didn't change his password and someone just guessed it, something that Luhnow has called out as false? When we speak with that kind of authority based on just blind internet speculation, that's...well, it's blind. We collectively took it as gospel that Luhnow did not change his password and that he's an idiot, or naive at the most generous, and there was no source to that other than internet speculation. Anyone who questioned someone for calling Luhnow an "idiot" was quickly corrected, because of the false supposition that he didn't change his password.
Yes. I can speculate with the best of them.