GDT 8/11/15-Pirates (Locke) @ Cardinals (Martínez) 7:15 CDT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: GDT 8/11/15-Pirates (Locke) @ Cardinals (Martínez) 7:15

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Tim wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Tim wrote:Do you guys really think Pittsburgh is going to win the division? Seriously? Look at that roster.
Do I think they'll win the central? No. But, the Cardinals, position by position, are no better than the Pirates. The OF is an edge towards Pitt while the IF is tilted to StL. The pitching is certainly deeper for StL and that's the difference, but in a short series I wouldn't want to face the Bucs nor do I feel like the Cardinals can (or will) put it on cruise control and win the division; they'll have to keep winning.

Still, they have a damn solid team and you really need look no further than their record to realize that. The Pirates are a top 5 team in baseball this year without a doubt. And, their roster reflects that.
I'm not sure I disagree with much of what you said, but all this hand wringing and talk of this being a big series is just comical to me. That's all. I haven't seen anything over this year or the past decade to the think that Pittsburgh is going to win this division.
What do you think is the biggest series of the year, thus far?

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

JCShutout wrote:I'm really glad we've won recently, allowing us to be threats to win now. Its a good thing we've never had a run of like 11 out of 12 years without winning the division (1988-1999) or 12 years without a 1st place finish, (1969-1980) or 17 years without a first place finish (1947-1963) or 25+ years without a 1st place finish (1901-1925) or anything. Were that to happen, we wouldn't have the history necessary to win the division.
Now you are coming around.

But seriously, we have 5 more games v Pitt in Stl and 3 more at Pitt. I have seen nothing in the remote or recent history of this season to suggest that Pittsburgh is a threat to the Cardinals. Pittsburgh can't piss a drop inside of the division and routinely choke away games in Busch.

If yall wanna play BFIB and be all excited about playing the Pirates and tell them how good they are, cool. I'll save my excitement for beating San Fran in the playoffs, if they make it.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Tim wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Tim wrote:Do you guys really think Pittsburgh is going to win the division? Seriously? Look at that roster.
Do I think they'll win the central? No. But, the Cardinals, position by position, are no better than the Pirates. The OF is an edge towards Pitt while the IF is tilted to StL. The pitching is certainly deeper for StL and that's the difference, but in a short series I wouldn't want to face the Bucs nor do I feel like the Cardinals can (or will) put it on cruise control and win the division; they'll have to keep winning.

Still, they have a damn solid team and you really need look no further than their record to realize that. The Pirates are a top 5 team in baseball this year without a doubt. And, their roster reflects that.
I'm not sure I disagree with much of what you said, but all this hand wringing and talk of this being a big series is just comical to me. That's all. I haven't seen anything over this year or the past decade to the think that Pittsburgh is going to win this division.
It is a 162 game season. I can't really say too many are "big." A 3 game series is 1.85% of the season

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

This series is MUCH bigger for the Pirates than the Cards

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

I don't think anyone is saying that the Cards are in imminent danger, but lets say Pit wins 6 of those last 8 games. Not unreasonable. Not super likely, but plausible. (At least as plausible as the Cards winning 6 of the last 8) That puts them 2 back with lots of time to make up the 2 games.

Lots of ifs and the Cards are in fantastic shape, but a stumble now would be bad.

EDIT: And yes, the series is MUCH bigger for the Rats than us, by FAR. But its still pretty important for the Cards.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Tim wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Tim wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:

It is a 162 game season. I can't really say too many are "big." A 3 game series is 1.85% of the season
Right, but that wasn't my question. Certainly you don't think a 3 game series against the DBacks in May is the same as this series going on, right?

Is it a big deal? No. Is it a bigger series than the one coming up against the Marlins? Sure.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

We play 5 more games in STL (today, tomorrow & Labor Day weekend). The 3 (hopefully meaningless) games at PNC are the second to last series of the year at the end of Sept.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Tim wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Tim wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:

Right, but that wasn't my question. Certainly you don't think a 3 game series against the DBacks in May is the same as this series going on, right?

Is it a big deal? No. Is it a bigger series than the one coming up against the Marlins? Sure.
I mean, I used to think that way. Wasn't the series in Pittsburgh a BIG series right before the ASB? Then the Cards came out of the ASB like gang busters and are back up 6 games. Just win.

With 2 weeks to go I think you can talk big series. If Cards keep doing what they are doing, they won't play a big series until the playoffs.

A difference of philosophy is all. No big deal.

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

Good pitching matchups the next two games. Pirates could win two 2-1 games and be 4 games back.

Martinez, Wacha, and Garcia have been great, but I worry about them tiring down the stretch. Pirates could definitely win the division.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

JCShutout wrote:I don't think anyone is saying that the Cards are in imminent danger, but lets say Pit wins 6 of those last 8 games. Not unreasonable. Not super likely, but plausible. (At least as plausible as the Cards winning 6 of the last 8) That puts them 2 back with lots of time to make up the 2 games.
Pirates could win all eight. They could win every game the rest of the season. They'll still probably have to beat a division rival in a best-of-5 series just to play for the pennant. So none of the regular season is relevant in pursuit of the World Series. It's all about the BABIP, clutch hitting, lucky bounce coin flip of the NLDS and avoiding a one-game playoff if possible. So why bother getting worked up about anything in August?