40%
Dan and Tim
56%
Rick and Al
No votes

Total votes: 25

Swirls
gone fission

Re: Who's your favorite TV broadcast team?

Post by Swirls »

Keith Hernandez does a fantastic job as part of the Mets broadcasting team. I'm quite a fan of the broadcasters for the Pirates also. When the Redbirds are playing Pittsburgh, I always listen to their feed on MLB.tv instead of the FSMW one. Baltimore also has a pretty good team with the guy who used to do Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN with Joe Morgan.

As far as FSMW only, my preferred partnership is Dan and Tim.

I'd say overall, the Cardinals announcers are mid-tier. Not top-tier like New York or Pittsburgh, but thankfully not the dregs of the barrel like the goddamn White Sox.

Vidor
You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™

Post by Vidor »

Tim is a better broadcaster for the Cardinals than he was nationally. For the FOX broadcasts he was obviously dumbing it down to the lowest common denominator. He still does that sometimes for St. Louis but he isn't as banal as he was on national TV.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Gashouse wrote:Al isn't my favorite, but I also don't agree with the Al-hate. There are moments when I get it, but as a whole body of work, he's fine.
Hate is a strong word -but he doesn't seem to enjoy it. When listening to Al, I come away depressed.

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

HardcoreCardsFan wrote:I'm still not getting the Al hate. It's been said he's dumb, but in what way? Can I have some examples?
Often Al sounds as if he really struggles to find something relevant to say when it's time for analysis. I'm sure other color guys have the same problem, but if there's not something very obvious then AL sounds particularly goofy. One of the games this weekend Kolten Wong hit a double, and Al mumbled a bit and then said "I like the double by Wong". Like he's "not " going to like it. That's some deep analysis.

Plus, whether he is or not, the things he says sound so smug.

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

Freed Roger wrote:
Gashouse wrote:Al isn't my favorite, but I also don't agree with the Al-hate. There are moments when I get it, but as a whole body of work, he's fine.
Hate is a strong word -but he doesn't seem to enjoy it. When listening to Al, I come away depressed.
I can see that. There is more enthusiasm in non-Al voices.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I watch a lot of out of town broadcast teams during Cardinals games, and I've found that our guys aren't notably bad. They're just not notably good.
Al is the weak link. I don't care for Rick that much, but he's inoffensive. I actually like McCarver when he doesn't have to do the baseball for beginners stuff he had to do during WS telecasts.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

thrill wrote: I don't care for Rick that much, but he's inoffensive.
He's gotten better since he's toned down his okilly dokelliy - Ned Flanders motif.
I actually like McCarver when he doesn't have to do the baseball for beginners stuff he had to do during WS telecasts.
Yep. In WS telecasts -he'd be enunciating things like the listener was a child just arrived into baseball America from Czechoslovakia.

NDark
Veteran Player

Post by NDark »

thrill wrote:I actually like McCarver when he doesn't have to do the baseball for beginners stuff he had to do during WS telecasts.
I miss Scooter.

Vidor
You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™

Post by Vidor »

Why do we hate Al? Because he just said "Jon Jay is obviously the key at-bat here."

With two outs and the bases loaded. Al told us that.