2004 NLCS game 6

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
jkline
Veteran Player

2004 NLCS game 6

Post by jkline »

Bautista's now famous bat flip got me thinking of a similar cardinal reaction that I witnessed. Tell me that Edmonds didn't get you running around your house with that double first pump. It didn't end well I guess but, that's not the point.
Tell me what you remember of this night of your life. The whole game is on YouTube if you need a refresher.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Re: 2004 NLCS game 6

Post by JoeMcKim »

Baseball fans can be a bit too much of pansies sometimes about players showing emotions. How about allow the players to have some fun as long as they don't go over the top, showing emotion isn't disrespecting the game.

jkline
Veteran Player

Post by jkline »

I agree wholeheartedly, if I ever hit a ball over a fence, or got a big hit I'd freak out.

Jimmy Ballgame does/did it, don't see why no one else can.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

As a non-fan of bat flips, I'm still OK with Edmonds' reaction, which was pure emotion. If he had stood there for 5 seconds to watch it, then chuck his bat 10 feet in the air, we've got a different story.

Even the Pujols stare after the Lidge HR was a bit borderline for me. But I was never a big fan of Pujols' stare-downs.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

I really enjoy bat flips after big moments like this. I think they are fun, memorable, and totally warranted. Bautista's was epic.

What I don't like, however, are the Puig-ish moments where there's a bat flip for something like a double, or worse, a routine fly ball that the hitter thought was going further than it did.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

A good walk off bat flip is just fine by me.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

I just remember one of the angles they showed on replay was kind of zoomed out as he ran around the bases. In that circular ballpark you got to see all the fans going crazy as the camera followed him around the bases.

I remember posting something to Facebook contrasting game 6 of the 2004 NLCS to game 6 of the 2003 NLCS for my Cubs fan friends to see. After the Cards lost the World Series that year, I decided I would not trash talk any more. And I really have not done anything like that since. If they initiate the trash talk, I will talk back. But I don't initiate it any more.

Vidor
You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™

Post by Vidor »

I remember thinking that whoever the Astro manager was, was making a big mistake by taking Lidge out of the game. I don't care that he'd pitched three innings. Lidge owned absolutely everyone in those days, including the Cardinals. Let him pitch until St. Louis actually gets a hit off of him.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Hoot45 wrote:I really enjoy bat flips after big moments like this. I think they are fun, memorable, and totally warranted. Bautista's was epic.
100% agree.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Popeye_Card wrote:As a non-fan of bat flips, I'm still OK with Edmonds' reaction, which was pure emotion. If he had stood there for 5 seconds to watch it, then chuck his bat 10 feet in the air, we've got a different story.

Even the Pujols stare after the Lidge HR was a bit borderline for me. But I was never a big fan of Pujols' stare-downs.
Very much agree with this post. Edmonds was not showing up the pitcher. He was excited he hit an all time homer.

Bautista, on the other hand, acted like he was insulted the pitcher would throw him that slop. I didn't like his bat flip at all.

We came very close to blowing game 6 in the 9th. Izzy was almost saddled with back to back losses.