Fastest basestealer in baseball

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Fastest basestealer in baseball

Post by jim »

Average time from break to bag goes to the one and only, Rico Noel @ 3.47 seconds. Hamilton and Dyson came in second and third in MLB. How many here knew Rico Noel was that fast? How many here knew who Rico Noel even was?

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Re: Fastest basestealer in baseball

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Not me, but that's fast!

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Holy crap! I can't get off my couch that fast!

jim

Post by jim »

Actually after I wrote this and thought a minute, I realized something isn't adding up. An average MLB catcher needs about 2 seconds flat from the time the ball hits his mitt to the time the ball is in the 2B mitt. An average delivery to the plate is about 1.3 - 1.4 seconds. Slapping a tag down would be at most .1 - so 3.4 means an average catcher with an average delivery to the plate should get Billy Hamilton on his average jump? That can't be right.

Something is off with this.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

jim wrote:Actually after I wrote this and thought a minute, I realized something isn't adding up. An average MLB catcher needs about 2 seconds flat from the time the ball hits his mitt to the time the ball is in the 2B mitt. An average delivery to the plate is about 1.3 - 1.4 seconds. Slapping a tag down would be at most .1 - so 3.4 means an average catcher with an average delivery to the plate should get Billy Hamilton on his average jump? That can't be right.

Something is off with this.
I was thinking the same thing. Any chance average plate delivery times have increased to over 2 seconds?

jim

Post by jim »

No chance. 1.5 is slow. 1.6-1.7 just about everyone on the team is running. Sometimes Bill James puts stuff in his book without really explaining it, and I wonder what he did to get these times. I'll try to find out tonight.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

So basically an extra .2 seconds of delivery time and you're gonna start sending everyone? The extra .2 seconds or so is enough for those slow-footed runners to theoretically be safe ~70% of the time to break even on batting runs?

I would have thought it would be higher - like at least a half second, probably more.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

This is slightly off topic but I was having a conversation the other day with someone about players and the amount of strides they take to get from say 2nd to 3rd on a hit to RF when they are on first base. We were talking about how it seems JHey takes about four strides between 2nd and 3rd. Does the James book have a stat on that? Probably a silly stat that doesn't exist but it got me curious as to who would take the fewest strides in that situation.

jim

Post by jim »

Swirls wrote:So basically an extra .2 seconds of delivery time and you're gonna start sending everyone? The extra .2 seconds or so is enough for those slow-footed runners to theoretically be safe ~70% of the time to break even on batting runs?

I would have thought it would be higher - like at least a half second, probably more.
.2 of a second is huge. 1.95 is an average MLB catcher, 1.75 is Yadi in his prime.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

I thought Rico Noel was a mafia raid over Christmastime.