2016 Rotation

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
a_smith
Perennial All-Star

Re: 2016 Rotation

Post by a_smith »

jim wrote:Kaminsky got jumped over in the org depth chart, which is why he was dealt. Reyes, Weaver, Flaherty, Marco, Lyons, Gomber ... who else?
Cooney?

Padsfs
Everyday Player

Post by Padsfs »

dmarx114 wrote:Agree with the original post, assuming Lackey doesn't accept.

I don't see the Cards adding a front line starter to this rotation.
I'd like to see them sign a high-upside, former good pitcher this year like the Royals did with Kris Medlin.

Cliff Lee or Brandon Beachy may be good candidates.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

a_smith wrote:
jim wrote:Kaminsky got jumped over in the org depth chart, which is why he was dealt. Reyes, Weaver, Flaherty, Marco, Lyons, Gomber ... who else?
Cooney?

Cooney would have been ahead of him as well. We really do have alot of pitching depth in the system, a ton of it. And alot of it is close to being ready to help. The only one on that list that I would definitely rule out as helping next year if Flaherty and Gomber. Conney, Lyons, Marco obviously .. Weaver might be a long shot to make it to St. Louis but it's not out of the realm of possibilities, and I think there is a fair chance if things go well we do see Reyes.

ZigZagCardsFan
Perennial All-Star

Post by ZigZagCardsFan »

Cooney is a guy that I have high hopes for but I'm sure there are many here that have seen much more of him than I have.

Is Cooney likely to be closer to Lance Lynn or Tyler Lyons, from a statistical output perspective (not talking about stuff & handedness)?

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

ZigZagCardsFan wrote:Cooney is a guy that I have high hopes for but I'm sure there are many here that have seen much more of him than I have.

Is Cooney likely to be closer to Lance Lynn or Tyler Lyons, from a statistical output perspective (not talking about stuff & handedness)?
Tyler Lyons

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

dmarx114 wrote:Agree with the original post, assuming Lackey doesn't accept.

I don't see the Cards adding a front line starter to this rotation.
They may not, but I don't think it will be from lack of trying. I think they're gonna go after a front line starter and bat.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Didn't Tim win Pitcher of the Year on our farm recently?

a_smith
Perennial All-Star

Post by a_smith »

Swirls wrote:
ZigZagCardsFan wrote:Cooney is a guy that I have high hopes for but I'm sure there are many here that have seen much more of him than I have.

Tyler Lyons
Lynn got a lot better with his stuff at MLB. The narrative is that he figured things out and his MiLB numbers didnt match up with the success he has had in MLB

But if you look at the their MiLB stats lines Cooney is really close to Lynn. Cooney has a tick fewer Ks, but has much better control
Lyons is also older. Cooney was the same age as Lynn at the same levels, while Lyons is older.

Just looking at ks, walks, HRs and WHIP

Cooney has 7.4ks, 1.8W, and .8HR per 9 with a whip of 1.178
Lynn was 7.8ks, 3.3w, and HR .7HR per 9 with a WHIP of 1.330
Lyons was 7.8ks, 2.0 w, and .9HR per 9 with a WHIP of 1.243

I have no idea how to scout prospects or to figure out how much room they have for improvement and where the numbers hide other things, but they don't really look all that different.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Yeah, there are a lot of arms down on the farm. Lyons/Cooney/Marco are guys that can step in and not embarrass themselves, so it's not like the backup options are LOL/OMG/WTF but they're not threatening for a rotation spot int he spring for a reason.

The next wave of top prospects, outside Reyes, aren't all that close either. Have any of them other than Reyes pitched at AA? I don't think they have. Reyes may have the stuff to jump into MLB, but he doesn't have the command to do it consistently. Weaver, for as high as I know some are on him, still has a couple steps to climb. Same with Flaherty.

In my opinion, it's a big mistake to count on any of that group for anything in 2016. Reyes likely gets a call up, but I'd hate to lose a year of his service time (and do it for a lesser version of himself) because they were ill-prepared to handle a shortage of innings that can be seen coming already. Of course, there is a buffer before Reyes is forced up, as mentioned, in the Lyons/Cooney/Marco group.