Argument for Chris Davis (Cards Rumored Interest pg 10)

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Re: Argument for Chris Davis (Cards Rumored Interest pg 10)

Post by cardsfantx »

To clarify, it does take all that stuff into consideration to see how far the ball went. But has nothing to do with the ballpark tool/it doesn't adjust based on ballpark.

It gives you the home run tracker for the player. Then you're simply overlaying the ballpark dimensions of each ballpark over his hr tracker.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Which makes you wonder if teams have a tool that estimates where each individual fly balls/HRs would land in their park to help evaluate a player.

Okay it makes me wonder.

Woolkins
Everyday Player
Location: Discovering a portal that leads literally into the head of John Mozeliak

Post by Woolkins »

Guess the Cardinal? (Past 3 year production)

GoCards1028
Perennial All-Star

Post by GoCards1028 »

Woolkins wrote:Image

Guess the Cardinal? (Past 3 year production)
Pete Kozma. Home run in Arizona.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Tyler Greene?

Woolkins
Everyday Player
Location: Discovering a portal that leads literally into the head of John Mozeliak

Post by Woolkins »

GoCards1028 wrote:Pete Kozma. Home run in Arizona.

Legend

Woolkins
Everyday Player

Post by Woolkins »

The report that the Cardinals are intrigued by Davis' defensive flexibility has me thinking. Is there any merit to the concept of him being able to slide over to third for an occasional game? The small sample size numbers suggest he would be similar to Reynolds or slightly better. While you wouldn't entrench that at the hot corner, is it servicible enough to give Carpenter and Wong (via Carp going to 2B) a break? I'm tempted to archive some games Davis played there as the eye test would be more telling.

On the defensive note, I kind of keep going back to Davis vs Heyward in offseason debate. No question Heyward is on another level, but how much surplus value does he offer to the Cards? Despite some opinion, Davis is one of the top defensive first baseman in the game. I honestly don't know how good Piscotty is/can be. If I recall correctly he was moved off the infield due to stone hands (?). I know 1B is the low spectrum of positions, but having a guy there who is quite adept at scooping errant throws is a nice safety net. And I guess I'm operating on the assumption Piscotty would be an above average defensive right fielder. What Heyward brings on defense is superb, but how much excess is it really?

Heyward RF Def - Piscotty RF Def - (Davis 1B Def - Piscotty 1B Def) = Surplus Value

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

I also think 1st defense is serverely undervalued. First basemen are involved in most of the plays in some capacity.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

So Chris Davis is actually a very good defender or a lousy one.

Woolkins
Everyday Player

Post by Woolkins »

lukethedrifter wrote:So Chris Davis is actually a very good defender or a lousy one.
From what I can gather, he's plus at 1B. Would be quite bad as full time 3B. And average in RF, would get to balls expected and good arm, but there would be quite a bit left desired especially after a year witnessing a wizard there.