Maddon NL MOTY

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Re: AL CY Young: Dallas Keuchel; NL: Jake Arrieta

Post by jim »

thrill wrote:It's because the Cubs were suck last year and great this year. It's because Maddon is way more likable and open with the media than Matheny. It's because his reputation is way better than Matheny's as a function of never doing things like Wacha in '14. It's because the Cubs are a great sports story and everyone wants to reward a great story. It's because the Cubs play in a bigger media market. It's because it's a stupid award with no basis in metrics because it's a profession with no real basis in metrics. No one actually knows how much managers matter. It's because expectations for the Cardinals were really high this year and really low for the Cubs. It's because all but a couple of voters only pay attention to the macro view of baseball and don't see what Maddon or Matheny do on a day-to-day to compare them apples to apples.

And most of all, with the amount of abuse Matheny has taken on this website in his tenure, I think the main reason people are salty about this is because it's another thing the Cubs beat the Cardinals at this year and as I've gotten a ton of heat for pointing out, maybe people are having a hard time dealing with that shift.
It is true. Those MOY flags fly forever.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Re: Maddon NL MOTY

Post by thrill »

They'll probably hang that flag on the foul pole underneath that pitcher that is going into the HOF with a different team.

obucard
Perennial All-Star

Post by obucard »

Why is everyone so mad about this? We knew back in April if the Cubs made the playoffs it was Maddon's to lose. It's like getting mad because the Libertarian candidate didn't win.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Have they announced the Schwarber gold glove yet

mcgee51taguchi99
Perennial All-Star
Location: Crying/injoyin watching tha Crew in tha Playoffs!!!

Post by mcgee51taguchi99 »

MOTY is largely an award reserved for the leader of the most over-achieving team. Nothing to get worked up about here.

jim

Post by jim »

The 2014 MOTY got fired this year. With this award and a roll of toilet paper you can wipe your ass.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

I can't believe there's this many post on this award and almost none on the Cy Young in the NL which I think is a far more interesting debate.

jim

Post by jim »

A Cardinal wasn't in the running for Cy, but they were for MOY. That might have something to do with the interest. Although of all the awards I agree, this one is the least important.