Orioles sign Chris Davis 7/161

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Re: Orioles sign Chris Davis 7/161

Post by cardsfansince82 »

I believe that's a record for the earliest BSOHL report.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Not that anyone but Vidor wanted us to beat that contract, but the rosy version is

Chris Davis has a 125 wRC+ Steamer projection

Matt Adams career vs RHP 128 wRC+
Matt Holliday career vs LHP 140 wRC+

If Holliday playing 1B isn't serious, then just put Piscotty there. Pham gives you an all-RH outfield against lefties.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

haltz wrote:Not that anyone but Vidor wanted us to beat that contract, but the rosy version is

If Holliday playing 1B isn't serious, then just put Piscotty there. Pham gives you an all-RH outfield against lefties.
Once again, guys, I feel the need to inform you that there is no salary cap in baseball. If the FO wasn't cheap and really wanted Davis, nothing is prohibiting them from signing him.

Cheddar Tom
Perennial All-Star

Post by Cheddar Tom »

Swirls wrote:nothing is prohibiting them from signing him.
The fact that he's not worth it is prob. the most prohibitive.

Vidor
You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™

Post by Vidor »

Swirls wrote:Once again, guys, I feel the need to inform you that there is no salary cap in baseball. If the FO wasn't cheap and really wanted Davis, nothing is prohibiting them from signing him.
I don't feel the need to inform you guys of that!

I may feel the need to bump this thread if we have another year of league-worst production at first base, though.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Vidor wrote:
Swirls wrote:Once again, guys, I feel the need to inform you that there is no salary cap in baseball. If the FO wasn't cheap and really wanted Davis, nothing is prohibiting them from signing him.
I don't feel the need to inform you guys of that!

I may feel the need to bump this thread if we have another year of league-worst production at first base, though.

You can say the same thing a thousand times if you like but every single time it's going to be wrong if it was wrong the first time.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Swirls wrote:
haltz wrote:Not that anyone but Vidor wanted us to beat that contract, but the rosy version is

Once again, guys, I feel the need to inform you that there is no salary cap in baseball. If the FO wasn't cheap and really wanted Davis, nothing is prohibiting them from signing him.
So you had no issue with the Leake contract correct?

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Vidor wrote:I may feel the need to bump this thread if we have another year of league-worst production at first base, though.
you should change that to "league-worst OPS." OPS isn't the best measure of production.

Vidor

Post by Vidor »

Magneto2.0 wrote:You can say the same thing a thousand times if you like but every single time it's going to be wrong if it was wrong the first time.
Third from bottom in HR from first basemen. Dead last in slugging percentage from first basemen (.392). We do manage to shoot all the way up to 11th out of 15 on OBP, I guess because The Whiff King could take walks.

But we didn't need an upgrade at first base or anything.

Vidor

Post by Vidor »

And FTR I am not frustrated that we failed to sign Davis per se, I'm frustrated that we failed to sign anyone other than Mike Leake. Look at that lineup. Tell me why anyone wouldn't conclude that they are going to score fewer runs than they did in 2015.