Orioles sign Chris Davis 7/161

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
go birds
-go birds

Re: Orioles sign Chris Davis 7/161

Post by go birds »

pete kozma was a never highly touted prospect.

russel hit 13 homers last year (while batting .240) at the age of 21.

pete kozma wont hit 13 homers in his career and can only hope to be a career .240 hitter.
Last edited by go birds on January 19 16, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Magneto2.0 wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:
go birds wrote:im beginning to think that they know they are about to get hammered for the hacking scandal so the only move of significance they are gonna make is one that they absolutely had to make in getting a proven inning eaters.
Me, too. That's why they're hoarding draft picks and MiLB prospects. It's a much better explanation for their actions than the one they're giving -- they don't want to create any competition for Piscotty, Grichuk, Moss, or Pham.
I think Mo sees it as, none of the free agent outfielders besides Heyward provided much of an upgrade from what we have. Would anyone really be surprised if Piscotty, Grichuk and Holliday all had better offensive seasons than Upton and Cespedes? I wouldn't. And even if they don't, are they going to be sooo much better that it would be worth giving 20 million to over the next 6 seasons? That's the question.
Well, yeah, I would be surprised if all 3 of them had better offensive seasons than both Upton and Cespedes. I wouldn't be surprised if 1 or 2 of them did better than both of them though.

The thing is, Upton and Cespedes at $20 mil/season over the next 6 seasons is going to be better than Holliday over the next 6 considering he probably won't even be playing for the Cardinals after this season.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

pioneer98 wrote:
Magneto2.0 wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:
go birds wrote:im beginning to think that they know they are about to get hammered for the hacking scandal so the only move of significance they are gonna make is one that they absolutely had to make in getting a proven inning eaters.
Me, too. That's why they're hoarding draft picks and MiLB prospects. It's a much better explanation for their actions than the one they're giving -- they don't want to create any competition for Piscotty, Grichuk, Moss, or Pham.
I think Mo sees it as, none of the free agent outfielders besides Heyward provided much of an upgrade from what we have. Would anyone really be surprised if Piscotty, Grichuk and Holliday all had better offensive seasons than Upton and Cespedes? I wouldn't. And even if they don't, are they going to be sooo much better that it would be worth giving 20 million to over the next 6 seasons? That's the question.
Well, yeah, I would be surprised if all 3 of them had better offensive seasons than both Upton and Cespedes. I wouldn't be surprised if 1 or 2 of them did better than both of them though.

The thing is, Upton and Cespedes at $20 mil/season over the next 6 seasons is going to be better than Holliday over the next 6 considering he probably won't even be playing for the Cardinals after this season.
Idk, I like Upton's power potential but he's been living off that 2011 season for quite sometime now. Since then he's been really good but not elite. And Cespdes has a career .319 OBP. However, your point about them being better than Holliday after next season, for sure. That's a good argument to sign Cespedes, move either Piscotty or Holliday to first. I don't see that happening though.

Vidor
You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™

Post by Vidor »

I've wondered that myself.

And speaking of that, it would be super if Rob Manfred would just go ahead and f*****g punish us already. I never thought that rooting for a baseball team would be like rooting for a college football team and wondering if you're going to lose bowl eligibility.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Magneto2.0 wrote:I think Mo sees it as, none of the free agent outfielders besides Heyward provided much of an upgrade from what we have. Would anyone really be surprised if Piscotty, Grichuk and Holliday all had better offensive seasons than Upton and Cespedes? I wouldn't. And even if they don't, are they going to be sooo much better that it would be worth giving 20 million to over the next 6 seasons? That's the question.
I don't think that's the question at all. Nothing on the roster is stopping those guys from playing. No projection system will agree that any one of the Piscotty, Grichuk, Holliday triumverate will be better than Cespedes or Upton. But, let's say your right... Why can't you sign one of those players and then play all 4 of those guys? If they all end up that good, then you absolutely can put all 4 of them on the field at the same time. You might displace Moss or Adams, but who freaking cares if Adams is displaced if the other 4 are 3-5 WAR players? At that point you have great depth, which is exactly what a team with a roster full of old & young players needs.

As it is, we still without question need a MLB caliber OF'er or 2 before we break spring.

To me, our roster decisions are simpler to explain by just saying that they're hoarding picks & prospects because we know we're going to lose a bunch of picks & get hammered with a huge fine. It explains why they didn't go after Davis, Upton, resign Lackey, Gordon, and the lesser options like Fowler. It explains why they signed Leake and not one of the other more attractive SP options. It explains why we haven't traded with the Rockies when they're obviously wanting to dump an OF'er to us.

At that point the only thing you have to explain is why they aren't interested in Cespedes... but that's simple: Cespedes has always been the one guy out there who was most likely to not live up to the contract he's going to get.

And you have to explain why we haven't added another low level OF'er -- Like Austin Jackson or Span. But, playing time considerations factor into that and it's not too late to do that.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

go birds wrote:pete kozma was a never highly touted prospect.

russel hit 13 homers last year (while batting .240) at the age of 21.

pete kozma wont hit 13 homers in his career and can only hope to be a career .240 hitter.

He was a number 1 pick, no?

I don't believe my own argument.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

12:35
Kvn: Cespedes likely goes to ChiSox or Angels now, right?
12:35
august fagerstrom: Seem like the two most likely destinations, though I still wouldn't rule out Texas, St. Louis, or apparently even the Nationals yet

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Fat Strat wrote:
Magneto2.0 wrote:I think Mo sees it as, none of the free agent outfielders besides Heyward provided much of an upgrade from what we have. Would anyone really be surprised if Piscotty, Grichuk and Holliday all had better offensive seasons than Upton and Cespedes? I wouldn't. And even if they don't, are they going to be sooo much better that it would be worth giving 20 million to over the next 6 seasons? That's the question.
I don't think that's the question at all. Nothing on the roster is stopping those guys from playing. No projection system will agree that any one of the Piscotty, Grichuk, Holliday triumverate will be better than Cespedes or Upton. But, let's say your right... Why can't you sign one of those players and then play all 4 of those guys? If they all end up that good, then you absolutely can put all 4 of them on the field at the same time. You might displace Moss or Adams, but who freaking cares if Adams is displaced if the other 4 are 3-5 WAR players? At that point you have great depth, which is exactly what a team with a roster full of old & young players needs.

As it is, we still without question need a MLB caliber OF'er or 2 before we break spring.

To me, our roster decisions are simpler to explain by just saying that they're hoarding picks & prospects because we know we're going to lose a bunch of picks & get hammered with a huge fine. It explains why they didn't go after Davis, Upton, resign Lackey, Gordon, and the lesser options like Fowler. It explains why they signed Leake and not one of the other more attractive SP options. It explains why we haven't traded with the Rockies when they're obviously wanting to dump an OF'er to us.

At that point the only thing you have to explain is why they aren't interested in Cespedes... but that's simple: Cespedes has always been the one guy out there who was most likely to not live up to the contract he's going to get.

And you have to explain why we haven't added another low level OF'er -- Like Austin Jackson or Span. But, playing time considerations factor into that and it's not too late to do that.

Well projections I've seen have Holliday being better than Cespedes and about equal to Upton (Offensively). You're right on Piscotty and Grichuk, but I don't think there's enough to go on with them for projections to be that accurate. I don't disagree with you, that if you could've signed Upton or sign Cespedes now and have Moss and Adams on the bench, that you do it. But I honestly feel that while the draft picks are a major factor, that Mo honestly feels he can get good production out of Moss and Adams, and doesn't think an upgrade is a necessity.

Is Dexter Fowler attached to a pick?

UK
Perennial All-Star

Post by UK »

Dexter Fowler received a qualifying offer from the Cubs, so he'll require a pick.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

GRB was all over this. Nice work everyone.

Except for Vidor. Bad job by Vidor.