Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

0-17 with 11 K this season.

0-35 his last 35 AB

1-51 his last 51

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Re: Orioles sign Chris Davis 7/161

Post by Popeye_Card »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:0-17 with 11 K this season.

0-35 his last 35 AB

1-51 his last 51
Only 3 years left on his contract (after this one).

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Popeye_Card wrote:
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:0-17 with 11 K this season.

0-35 his last 35 AB

1-51 his last 51
Only 3 years left on his contract (after this one).
These are the contracts management is trying to avoid now by avoiding free agents and locking up their young talent sooner and cheaper.
The next CBA negotiation will be interesting.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:These are the contracts management is trying to avoid now by avoiding free agents and locking up their young talent sooner and cheaper.
The next CBA negotiation will be interesting.

Especially if they go the route of the NBA. The NBA put max contracts into place because there were too many old players earning too much money for too little production. That was the main driving factor behind limiting those contracts. MLB and the MLBPA might come to the same conclusion on their next round of talks. A couple warnings about that though: expiring contracts become highly trade-worthy, and star players start dictating trades when unhappy.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

heyzeus wrote:I'm a-ok with not going near that contract.
4th reply in the thread and you nailed it.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Too bad there isn't an Orioles game tonight. I wanted to check out fan reaction.

I remember attending a White Sox game during Adam Dunn's horrendous year in 2011. The fans were so sarcastic, it was hilarious. I think they gave Dunn a standing ovation for a single.

Mary1966
Perennial All-Star

Post by Mary1966 »

sighyoung wrote:Too bad there isn't an Orioles game tonight. I wanted to check out fan reaction.

I remember attending a White Sox game during Adam Dunn's horrendous year in 2011. The fans were so sarcastic, it was hilarious. I think they gave Dunn a standing ovation for a single.
Reaction to him on Opening day:
https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/04/05/balti ... eague-east
Davis, of course, should be a natural pick for the most popular current player here. He’s the longest tenured, having been in Baltimore since 2011; he’s the only one to be an All-Star as an Oriole, the only one to earn votes for MVP as an Oriole; he’s under contract for years to come, through 2022. He’s all set up as a conventionally safe bet to earn this type of goodwill. Yet, over the last year, he’s become the opposite. Davis’ 2018 was among the worst seasons of all time, and 2019 hasn’t been any better for him. He was the only player to elicit any booing during the pregame ceremony’s elaborate pomp and circumstance—jogging out on orange carpet, under an orange balloon arch, between two columns of orange flags, to a muddled reception from the crowd—and he was the only one to receive a strong reaction to his every move on the field thereafter, while his teammates gained a lead and blew a lead, ultimately losing by a score of 8-4.

Davis was booed when he struck out the first time, booed again when he struck out the second time, booed more heavily when he struck out the third time—and finally cheered, pointedly and raucously, when he was removed in the eighth inning. His replacement, Hanser Alberto, singled to advance a runner, but the cheers he received for the base hit matched only a fraction of the ones he’d received for simply walking up to the plate as Davis’ replacement. It didn’t matter so much who he was (an ex-Texas Rangers farmhand, claimed off waivers four separate times just this winter, making him an archetypical model for this team). Instead, it only mattered who he wasn’t.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

0-44 this year

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Magneto2.0 wrote:0-44 this year
Yuck. You kind of feel bad for the guy.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

CardsofSTL wrote:
Magneto2.0 wrote:0-44 this year
Yuck. You kind of feel bad for the guy.
I actually do too. Regardless of how much money he's getting, it can't feel good as a competitor.