GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 19 19, 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: April 5 19, 10:40 am 
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

0-17 with 11 K this season.

0-35 his last 35 AB

1-51 his last 51

PostPosted: April 5 19, 10:58 am 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:

0-35 his last 35 AB

1-51 his last 51

Only 3 years left on his contract (after this one).

PostPosted: April 5 19, 11:24 am 
Hall Of Famer

Popeye_Card wrote:
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:

0-35 his last 35 AB

1-51 his last 51

Only 3 years left on his contract (after this one).

These are the contracts management is trying to avoid now by avoiding free agents and locking up their young talent sooner and cheaper.
The next CBA negotiation will be interesting.

PostPosted: April 5 19, 2:07 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
These are the contracts management is trying to avoid now by avoiding free agents and locking up their young talent sooner and cheaper.
The next CBA negotiation will be interesting.

Especially if they go the route of the NBA. The NBA put max contracts into place because there were too many old players earning too much money for too little production. That was the main driving factor behind limiting those contracts. MLB and the MLBPA might come to the same conclusion on their next round of talks. A couple warnings about that though: expiring contracts become highly trade-worthy, and star players start dictating trades when unhappy.

PostPosted: April 5 19, 2:09 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
heyzeus wrote:
I'm a-ok with not going near that contract.

4th reply in the thread and you nailed it.

PostPosted: April 5 19, 4:45 pm 
Mayor of GRB

Too bad there isn't an Orioles game tonight. I wanted to check out fan reaction.

I remember attending a White Sox game during Adam Dunn's horrendous year in 2011. The fans were so sarcastic, it was hilarious. I think they gave Dunn a standing ovation for a single.

PostPosted: April 6 19, 8:50 pm 
Perennial All-Star

sighyoung wrote:
Too bad there isn't an Orioles game tonight. I wanted to check out fan reaction.

I remember attending a White Sox game during Adam Dunn's horrendous year in 2011. The fans were so sarcastic, it was hilarious. I think they gave Dunn a standing ovation for a single.

Reaction to him on Opening day:
https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/04/05/baltimore-orioles-record-american-league-east

Quote:
Davis, of course, should be a natural pick for the most popular current player here. He’s the longest tenured, having been in Baltimore since 2011; he’s the only one to be an All-Star as an Oriole, the only one to earn votes for MVP as an Oriole; he’s under contract for years to come, through 2022. He’s all set up as a conventionally safe bet to earn this type of goodwill. Yet, over the last year, he’s become the opposite. Davis’ 2018 was among the worst seasons of all time, and 2019 hasn’t been any better for him. He was the only player to elicit any booing during the pregame ceremony’s elaborate pomp and circumstance—jogging out on orange carpet, under an orange balloon arch, between two columns of orange flags, to a muddled reception from the crowd—and he was the only one to receive a strong reaction to his every move on the field thereafter, while his teammates gained a lead and blew a lead, ultimately losing by a score of 8-4.

Davis was booed when he struck out the first time, booed again when he struck out the second time, booed more heavily when he struck out the third time—and finally cheered, pointedly and raucously, when he was removed in the eighth inning. His replacement, Hanser Alberto, singled to advance a runner, but the cheers he received for the base hit matched only a fraction of the ones he’d received for simply walking up to the plate as Davis’ replacement. It didn’t matter so much who he was (an ex-Texas Rangers farmhand, claimed off waivers four separate times just this winter, making him an archetypical model for this team). Instead, it only mattered who he wasn’t.

PostPosted: April 7 19, 2:29 pm 
Hall Of Famer

0-44 this year

PostPosted: April 7 19, 2:35 pm 
All Hail the New GDT Master

Magneto2.0 wrote:
0-44 this year

Yuck. You kind of feel bad for the guy.

PostPosted: April 7 19, 2:48 pm 
Hall Of Famer

CardsofSTL wrote:
Magneto2.0 wrote:
0-44 this year

Yuck. You kind of feel bad for the guy.

I actually do too. Regardless of how much money he's getting, it can't feel good as a competitor.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next