Cardinals signed OF Carlos Peguero

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Re: Cardinals signed OF Carlos Peguero

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

boops wrote:I still don't get the Mike Leake signing. Why bother?
While he definitely fills the role we lost when Lynn went down, this move demonstrates just how much the FO disliked ALL of the other options to upgrade the team in any way. The outfielders, the 1st baseman, the pitching at shorter term deals.. all of them. Heading into the Leake signing, this offseason already was going to enrage the fanbase. So they had to spend something significant, and they did that with Leake. They went a little longer than they wanted, I'd imagine. But really sort of had to do something.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Fat Strat wrote:I'm highly doubtful that Tilson will be a 300/350/400 guy. Maybe someday he reaches that point, but he has no AB's above AA. One injury and Pham is starting everyday and Tilson is up all season. That's not good roster construction.
Guys don't need PAs above AAA. There's better competition at AA.

Tilson up all season to me is a fine use of the 25th spot on the roster. Speed, late-inning D, and a guy who makes good contact starting once every five days or so is a-ok in my book, and a far better use of the spot that Peguero striking out in 35% of his PA and not hitting nearly enough bombs to justify that kind of whiff rate.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

His Twitter page is WAY more devout than Cody Stanley's. I fear Peguero may be taking every performance-enhancing drug known to medical science.

https://twitter.com/cpeguero4

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

33anda3rd wrote:Guys don't need PAs above AAA. There's better competition at AA.
No, there's not.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

jagtrader wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:Guys don't need PAs above AAA. There's better competition at AA.
No, there's not.
Yeah, there is, I assure you as someone who has spent a lot of time in minor league parks.

In AAA you have 33 year old SP who are going nowhere except maybe getting a cup of coffee once or twice as a RP, 32 year old C who are there just to mentor players a la Bull Durham, 30 year old MI who are on the roster because they speak Spanish, 28 year olds like Dean Anna who at 28 still can't hit .280 in a hitters park in the minors against guys five years younger but who because of their glove might be needed to sit on a bench in the show for 10 days, 35 year olds like Dan Johnson who are just MLB scrap heap players who are there for no reason other than just in case the team plane crashes, and so on.

AA has a lot more raw talent.

Look at the Springfield and Memphis BBREF pages last year. The average age of position players in Springfield was 24. The average age in Memphis was 26.6 because it was loaded with graveyard players.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

jagtrader wrote:
No, there's not.
Yes there is. Most elite prospects don't spend much time in AAA. They're there for a short stint and then head to the majors. Most of the big prospects spend some significant time in AA. Triple A is for the 5th OFs and middle relievers of the world, usually in their late 20s/early 30s who haven't been called up yet.

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

Maybe the bat we needed went down the drain with Reyes' bong water.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

The bat we need died in a car accident.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Magneto2.0 wrote:The bat we need was an idiot who got drunk and killed himself and his girlfriend.
Fixed that for you.

Cheddar Tom
Perennial All-Star

Post by Cheddar Tom »

Phew...glad we didn't forget to establish moral grandstanding.