Yadi's successor

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Re: Yadi's successor

Post by jim »

I really want phins to chime in ... I saw Kelly in Peoria, once he was playing 3B and late in the season he looked tired. But I don't see the comp - I'm guessing at his arm but at best it's plus. But I really shouldn't say because he was just transitioning to catcher, and I just didn't see him enough to say for sure. I know a lot of people talk highly of him.

If you want a Yadi comp it's Vazquez, and not just because he's Puerto Rican. I see alot of comps there, starting with that hose. He can really throw.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Padsfs wrote:
go birds wrote:Since it looks like the cardinals are done with the offseason and since they really didn't acquire anything significant, in terms of a core player (price/heyward), i cant help but feel like rebuilding is gonna be in our near future. It's pretty clear they aren't gonna spend the money it takes to lure premium FA's here (yea i get they tried--but that's how its always gonna be).

I love this mantra of "core players" being something that is necessary to a winning ballclub. A completely indescribable vague term mostly used to complain about some future date of falling off.

What about pitching-wise? Martinez? Wacha? Reyes? Hitting-wise? Piscotty? Grichuk? Wong? Carpenter?

In 2012, we had Jay, Craig, Freese, and Molina all step up in the wake of losing Pujols and Berkman, while Lohse, Lynn, and Kelly stepped up to replace Carpenter. We made a relatively minor FA signing snagging Carlos Beltran, who went off.

The 'core' is ever-changing and I don't understand the negativity with this roster. It's pretty packed with both veterans and high-upside players and has a ton of depth as well.

We have 4 older players in Holliday, Peralta, Wainwright, and Molina, yet none of them are really showing signs of falling off, plus older guys can still have good years. Look at Lackey just last year.
Stop being logical and not going with the mainstream cliche narratives.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

In 2012, our farm system was ranked #5.

In 2015 our farm system was ranked #16. And we graduated Piscotty, Grichuk, Gonzales and traded away Kaminsky.

Not a very good comparison.

Cheddar Tom
Perennial All-Star

Post by Cheddar Tom »

Padsfs wrote:The 'core' is ever-changing and I don't understand the negativity with this roster. It's pretty packed with both veterans and high-upside players and has a ton of depth as well.
Some people here have divorced themselves from any possibility that the Cardinals might be good....I was called a kool-aid drinker or something because I doubted that everyone on the team would collapse or under perform, even while acknowledging that the roster could have tons of (bad) variance.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

And im not really talking about this year, im talking about the future---the next few years until the wave of offensive prospects arrive.

Cheddar Tom
Perennial All-Star

Post by Cheddar Tom »

go birds wrote:traded away Kaminsky.
Throwing out Kaminsky is a way of trying to distort the picture....especially when he would rank behind Reyes, Gonzales, Flaherty, Weaver and Cooney.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

well according to BA, he was #5

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Cheddar Tom wrote:
Padsfs wrote:The 'core' is ever-changing and I don't understand the negativity with this roster. It's pretty packed with both veterans and high-upside players and has a ton of depth as well.
Some people here have divorced themselves from any possibility that the Cardinals might be good....I was called a kool-aid drinker or something because I doubted that everyone on the team would collapse or under perform, even while acknowledging that the roster could have tons of (bad) variance.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

well i dont recall anyone saying in this thread that the 2016 team wont be any good.

it's the koolaid drinkers that feel the need to puff out their chest.

Im willing to acknowledge the fact that this team MIGHT be good (offensively), but i have my doubts.

This is more about the future and really just about yadi's successor (hence the title of the thread "Yadi's successor")

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

I don't think we have to worry about a Yadi successor for quite some time. He's only 33. He'll probably be starting catcher for the next 4 years. There's time to find one. Might be through the draft, might be Kelly. Hard to say.