Likely expansion to 32 teams

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Padsfs
Everyday Player

Re: Likely expansion to 32 teams

Post by Padsfs »

Portland (2.5M people) is bigger than several teams like Pittsburgh, Cinci, KC, Cleveland, and Milwaukee, but would still be a small market team in that group of cities right below St. Louis in Charlotte, Orlando, San Antonio, and Portland. I would think Charlotte would be first in line. Canada-wise, Montreal blow all of them away with 4.1M while Vancouver has 2.5M also.

Personally, I think Brooklyn or New Jersey should get a team before any other city. NYC has 20.3M people and I think a new team would do well there.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Padsfs wrote:Portland (2.5M people) is bigger than several teams like Pittsburgh, Cinci, KC, Cleveland, and Milwaukee, but would still be a small market team in that group of cities right below St. Louis in Charlotte, Orlando, San Antonio, and Portland. I would think Charlotte would be first in line. Canada-wise, Montreal blow all of them away with 4.1M while Vancouver has 2.5M also.

Personally, I think Brooklyn or New Jersey should get a team before any other city. NYC has 20.3M people and I think a new team would do well there.
They can barely get Citi Field and Yankee stadium to sell out sometimes.

Atlanta would block a team going to Charlotte. I think New Orleans is in that sweet spot where it wouldn't affect other markets. They have a minor league team that draws well too.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

go birds wrote:Nashville please

Some loyal Cardinal fan you are

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Freed Roger wrote:

Nashville is closer to Atlanta than Charlotte is.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

lukethedrifter wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:

I guess it all depends on which roads you take, but Google Maps says Charlotte is all of 4 miles closer. Though from where the ballpark is, Nashville is probably slightly closer.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Popeye_Card wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:

I guess it all depends on which roads you take, but Google Maps says Charlotte is all of 4 miles closer. Though from where the ballpark is, Nashville is probably slightly closer.
I’ve got Nashville 8 mi closer to SunTrust. And that makes all the difference.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
Padsfs wrote:Portland (2.5M people) is bigger than several teams like Pittsburgh, Cinci, KC, Cleveland, and Milwaukee, but would still be a small market team in that group of cities right below St. Louis in Charlotte, Orlando, San Antonio, and Portland. I would think Charlotte would be first in line. Canada-wise, Montreal blow all of them away with 4.1M while Vancouver has 2.5M also.

Atlanta would block a team going to Charlotte. I think New Orleans is in that sweet spot where it wouldn't affect other markets. They have a minor league team that draws well too.
In the end I don't think Atlanta would block a team in Charlotte... once they got paid off enough to cede the rights to the territory. If I were them, I'd take a cash settlement content that the generations that grew up as Braves fans are still going to be Braves fans and that means their future children have a chance at still being Braves fans even. Sure they will probably support the local team, especially initially, but in the end the majority will still be loyal to the Braves. I primarily base this on the fact that the people I grew up with who adopted an NFL team prior to the Rams coming here (their first season was my senior year of HS) continued to be (and still are) fans of those teams they adopted prior to the Rams. Most of the time the reason they adopted the team they did is because of family already supporting a team.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I can't wait to go to some Austin Brisket games in 2025.

Padsfs
Everyday Player

Post by Padsfs »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
Padsfs wrote:Personally, I think Brooklyn or New Jersey should get a team before any other city. NYC has 20.3M people and I think a new team would do well there.
That's not my point. The metro area can handle three teams due to population and, of course, corporate sponsors. If they lowered the prices or had $1 beer night, I'm sure they would sell it out. The metro also consists of TV rights. Attendance is price dependant.

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

Padsfs wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
Padsfs wrote:Personally, I think Brooklyn or New Jersey should get a team before any other city. NYC has 20.3M people and I think a new team would do well there.
That's not my point. The metro area can handle three teams due to population and, of course, corporate sponsors. If they lowered the prices or had $1 beer night, I'm sure they would sell it out. The metro also consists of TV rights. Attendance is price dependant.
Metro area can handle 4 teams using that logic, which I agree with. Not that I think they will or should get another team but by the numbers 2 more NYC teams looks like the best choice.