Likely expansion to 32 teams

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
HardcoreCardsFan
All-Star

Likely expansion to 32 teams

Post by HardcoreCardsFan »

While he did not provide a timetable, Major League Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred indicated Thursday that expansion from 30 to 32 teams was inevitable if not imminent.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ba ... story.html

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Re: Likely expansion to 32 teams

Post by Schlich »

Puerto Rico?

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Nashville please

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Off topic, but in the article:
The commissioner touched on issues of fan safety, saying that he will need "to let the dust settle a little bit" to gauge the effectiveness of the new protective netting put in place at MLB parks for the 2016 season.
I know some people here weren't crazy about this idea, but has it been implemented everywhere? How is it?

Molly
Perennial All-Star

Post by Molly »

Count me as one of the people not crazy about it. And I know many have said this but, if folks sitting in seats likely to get hit by a foul ball would stay off their stupid smartphones and pay attention, the netting would not be needed.

First ever trip to Jupiter this year, had seats 2 rows behind the dugout and had to watch the game through a stupid net. :x

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

I wonder how expanding to 32 teams would affect the post season?

If you did 8 divisions of 4, it doesn't seem right that a division winner would have to play a wild card game.

Maybe they would add a 6th post-season team to each league and have them play a best of 3 series against division winners 3 and 4?

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

What's the reason for having so many divisions anyway?

If anything, seems like having more division champs means you're more likely to have more wild card teams better than some of the champs.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

And if they went to right 4 team divisions, I assume the Pirates get booted out of the Central, and into the East (maybe Northeast) division with the Phillies, Mets, and Nats.

No clue how the Rockies would fit in to all of this without major re-structuring of the divisions.

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

4 divisions of 8 seems a lot more likely than 8 divisions of 4. East/West in each league.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Schlich wrote:Puerto Rico?
Very very doubtful. I don't think they could raise the money to build a closed roof stadium (and they absolutely would need a closed roof stadium). If you are going to look internationally then I think Montreal is first, with Mexico City a very distant second. The problem with Mexico City is the altitude - they are a couple of thousand feet higher than Denver.

If i had to guess - and it's not even all that educated of a guess - I would say Montreal and Las Vegas.

32 teams makes the scheduling infinitely more logical. The last time baseball had logical scheduling was when they were at 24.