Everday Unicorn

Re: Grandal to White Sox

Post by heyzeus »

We’re gonna do individual threads for significant offseason moves. Kthx

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

interesting; already had an all star last year in James McCann...trade bait I'm guessing?

they could be very good, really quickly

dan_yall
Veteran Player

Post by dan_yall »

This is great. There were lots of rumours of him going to the Reds. Glad he's out of the Central.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

cardsfantx wrote:interesting; already had an all star last year in James McCann...trade bait I'm guessing?

They've had a losing record for the past seven seasons, so not that quickly.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

jagtrader wrote:
cardsfantx wrote:interesting; already had an all star last year in James McCann...trade bait I'm guessing?

cubs also had a bunch of losing seasons till 2015 (5 to be exact), and then won the WS a year later in 2016

when you have a farm club as good as the cubs did back then, and the White Sox do now, it doesn't take long

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

cardsfantx wrote:
jagtrader wrote:

cubs also had a bunch of losing seasons till 2015 (5 to be exact), and then won the WS a year later in 2016

when you have a farm club as good as the cubs did back then, and the White Sox do now, it doesn't take long
They have a LOT of holes in that roster. McCann turned into a pumpkin in the second half. Anderson rocked a .399 BABIP all season. Eloy belongs at DH.

Adding a 5 win player helps, but unless they add Cole, Strasburg, Rendon and maybe Dyson (to cover for those pylons in each corner OF), the World Series will have to wait.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Welington Castillo gave the White Sox -1.0 WAR last year. They are basically replacing him with Grandal. So signing Grandal could be more like adding 6 WAR for them, assuming they keep McCann as backup. They could also DH Grandal sometimes.

The White Sox top 5 players are probably better than the Cardinals' top 5 players. The Sox's problem is that they still give so many innings to guys who suck, like Castillo. You add up all the position players who gave the Sox negative WAR last year, and they amounted to -7.6 WAR. Do the same for the Cardinals and they were only -1.6 WAR. Now recognize that this includes pitchers' batting stats, and the Cards gave pitchers way more PAs than the White Sox did, and still ended up that much better in this area. That's how bad the White Sox depth is (and also how good the Cards' depth is - we take guys like Lane and Arozarena for granted, to say nothing about a guy like Tommy Edman who kind of comes out of nowhere. But I digress.)

So, the White Sox could gain as much WAR with some shrewd depth moves to get like 4 or 5 replacement level depth players as they could by signing Rendon. I think they are hoping these guys they have coming up on the farm could provide some of that depth. I guess to me they probably do need to get one of the pitchers, and maybe an outfielder if Robert is not quite ready...and then get a slew of depth players. They wouldn't even have to be that great, just replacement level or a little above.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

HJ!

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Swirls wrote:HJ!
++