Pujols questions

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Pujols questions

Post by heyzeus »

Do i have to type "middle33 was right?" Welp. Just did.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

i don't like to talk about my pujols

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

Pujols went 3/4 last night and more than doubled his OPS+.

He's nowhere near the superstar he was with the Cardinals, but it's not like he's suddenly turned into a slow-footed Juan Pierre.

He hit 40 HR last season. He has a 126 OPS+ in his time with the Angels. That's not remotely good compared to his salary or his performance in his 20s.

But it's not like he's been Matt Adams bad or anything that would warrant him riding the bench.

Even on a team like St. Louis where there is a considerable amount of depth Pujols would probably be our best option at 1b right now.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

TheoSqua wrote:Pujols went 3/4 last night and more than doubled his OPS+.

He's nowhere near the superstar he was with the Cardinals, but it's not like he's suddenly turned into a slow-footed Juan Pierre.

He hit 40 HR last season. He has a 126 OPS+ in his time with the Angels. That's not remotely good compared to his salary or his performance in his 20s.

But it's not like he's been Matt Adams bad or anything that would warrant him riding the bench.

Even on a team like St. Louis where there is a considerable amount of depth Pujols would probably be our best option at 1b right now.
In fairness, when this question was asked, he was OPS'ing .450, and even his doubled OPS+ after last night is still 79, or right in line with Daniel Descalso's career.

Cheddar Tom
Perennial All-Star

Post by Cheddar Tom »

TheoSqua wrote:Pujols went 3/4 last night and more than doubled his OPS+.

The question was...."will he achieve these milestones?"

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

3000+ hits -- easily
2000+ runs -- will be very close, he'l probably finish +/- 20 runs of this if he plays out all the remaining years on his deal.
600+ hrs -- easily
.300 career BA -- he'll fall under this if he plays out his deal. His career AVG dropped 3-4 pts a year starting in 2011 and it's up to 4-5 pts/year now, and he's only at .311 for his career. He'll end up like .295.

Also, I'm interested in what his career WAR would look like. -- 100-104 total rWAR

That contract has a few years left on it. Will he be able to play it out? -- Like A-Rod and Jeter and etc. he will play it out. Unless there's some unforeseen "Albert, jeez, keep your kid at home" incident.

heyzeus wrote:Do i have to type "middle33 was right?"
It's not like that's unique or anything w/r/t the topic of player aging.

Leeyat
All-Star

Post by Leeyat »

By now, Pujols BA is about 0.200, with 12BB 13K. --- I really have no idea on this stats. Does it mean that he still has the ability to tell strike or ball but just can't hit it well? He is on pace to have 35HR 98RBI 69BB 75K for this season though BA is 0.198 only.

Just no idea.

But he hass been good in the last 10 games: 0.333 (10-30) 4HR 7RBI 6BB 1K! :D