Tim Tebow wants to play baseball

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Tim Tebow wants to play baseball

Post by heyzeus »

Adam Schefter of ESPN.com reports that former NFL quarterback Tim Tebow is "actively pursuing a career in professional baseball" and plans to hold a workout for MLB teams later this month.
Tebow couldn't cut it in the NFL and is currently a broadcaster, so now he's trying to pick up a sport that he hasn't played since he was a junior in high school more than a decade ago. Good luck with that. FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal confirms the report and adds that Tebow has been working with former major league catcher Chad Moeller in preparation for being an outfielder. "This may sound like a publicity stunt, but nothing could be further from the truth," said Brodie Van Wagenen of CAA. "I have seen Tim’s workouts, and people inside and outside the industry – scouts, executives, players and fans – will be impressed by his talent." Tebow, who turns 29 on Sunday, was an All-State baseball player at Nease High School in Florida and drew attention from baseball scouts before pursuing football. This story will naturally grab headlines, but he faces some long odds.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: Tim Tebow wants to play baseball

Post by lukethedrifter »

Publicity stunt.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Last time Tim Tebow picked up a baseball, we were all posting at Cards Talk.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I want to play baseball.

Magnum
AA Minor League Player

Post by Magnum »

I have never understood why any athlete that has baseball and football talents doesn't choose baseball. It might be harder to get to the top level in baseball, but even if you don't make it playing a "kid's game" in the minors still has to be a pretty fun thing. Plus you don't have defensive players trying to kill you every play.

BW23
Hall Of Famer

Post by BW23 »

Magnum wrote:I have never understood why any athlete that has baseball and football talents doesn't choose baseball. It might be harder to get to the top level in baseball, but even if you don't make it playing a "kid's game" in the minors still has to be a pretty fun thing. Plus you don't have defensive players trying to kill you every play.
I know it depends on talent level, but I agree on the general scale. I know a kid that had full ride offers for football but chose the partial scholarship for baseball to MU. Injuries cut short what could have been a run to the majors, but he did fairly well in college and never had to go full contact.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Magnum wrote:I have never understood why any athlete that has baseball and football talents doesn't choose baseball. It might be harder to get to the top level in baseball, but even if you don't make it playing a "kid's game" in the minors still has to be a pretty fun thing. Plus you don't have defensive players trying to kill you every play.
Plus if you do make it to the bigs, MLB has guaranteed contracts. The average football career lasts something like 2 seasons, and then you can be cut and owed nothing but your signing bonus.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Football is a more glitzy choice though. If you're a guy that has maybe enough talent to sniff the majors in either mlb or the nfl (which is impossible to know at 17 years old), the career path for baseball is get drafted, get a little bit of money depending on where drafted but we're not talking 1st round talent here, simmer in the minors making not a lot of money with very little publicity, then get a cup of coffee and be done. Compare that to going to a high profile school, being a god on campus, likely get a little bit of money here and there, then get drafted and flame out in a year or two. The football route offers so much more attention that can lead to things like lucrative media careers, insurance salesmen, etc etc etc after being finished.

Maybe it's just around here, but there are probably 30 guys that are ex-football players for the Razorbacks that are either on the radio, TV, or have fallen into high profile positions for businesses simply because people want to hear them and or do business with them. There are no ex baseball players that I am aware of.

Mega stars are better off in baseball, and there's the entire guaranteed contracts and safety issues. But, football offers fame pretty much right away.