Adams replaced by Moss?!!

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Medwick's Ghost
Everyday Player

Adams replaced by Moss?!!

Post by Medwick's Ghost »

I could not believe my eyes last night. The big boy is finally going deep while Moss is in a slump, like 0 for his last 20 AB? (same goes for Pham) What makes matters worse is that Adams is the best defensive 1st baseman we've had since who...Hernandez?

The talking heads love to slurp all over MM, but today Mad Dog Russo blasted him for that crap last night.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Adams replaced by Moss?!!

Post by heyzeus »

Medwick's Ghost wrote:What makes matters worse is that Adams is the best defensive 1st baseman we've had since who...Hernandez?
I recall some guy we had in the 2000s who was good at the defense and not bad with the stick either.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Whew. There's a lot going on here.

Medwick's Ghost
Everyday Player

heyzeus wrote:
Medwick's Ghost wrote:What makes matters worse is that Adams is the best defensive 1st baseman we've had since who...Hernandez?
I recall some guy we had in the 2000s who was good at the defense and not bad with the stick either.
AP was a serviceable 1st sacker, that's all. Did you never notice that he couldn't do the split/stretch? Adams, as big as he is, can. Moss can too, but he's not a 1st baseman. He's a pretty fair left fielder tho'.

Medwick's Ghost
Everyday Player

phins wrote:Whew. There's a lot going on here.
Please explain.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

PROOF

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

Medwick's Ghost wrote:
heyzeus wrote:
AP was a serviceable 1st sacker, that's all. Did you never notice that he couldn't do the split/stretch? Adams, as big as he is, can. Moss can too, but he's not a 1st baseman. He's a pretty fair left fielder tho'.
Pujols is his prime makes Adams look like an American Legion first baseman.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Haithere

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

I used those new fangled stat thingies last time when I showed how much value Matt Holliday has provided over the life of his contract, which means that despite being pretty much worthless over the past couple years due to injury, he's provided something like $50-75MM in surplus value above and beyond his $120MM contract.

That was worthless for me to do. I won't make that mistake again in showing you the defensive value Pujols gave, and how it is drastically better than Adams (and likely better than Hernandez, but I never really saw him play either).

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Swirls wrote:I used those new fangled stat thingies last time when I showed how much value Matt Holliday has provided over the life of his contract, which means that despite being pretty much worthless over the past couple years due to injury, he's provided something like $50-75MM in surplus value above and beyond his $120MM contract.

That was worthless for me to do. I won't make that mistake again in showing you the defensive value Pujols gave, and how it is drastically better than Adams (and likely better than Hernandez, but I never really saw him play either).
I don't even need stats for the Pujols/Adams comp. Yes, Adams is quite good (especially for such a big man -- but so was Prince Fielder). Pujols on the other hand made stunning plays fairly regularly... He would make throws to 2nd or 3rd that no other 1B-man had the balls to attempt, and he almost always got his man. Plus he and Yadi were just on their own wave-length when it came to that snap throw/pick off. So fun to watch play in the field.