Offseason Wishlist

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Re: Offseason Wishlist

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Think of Yeoni as an assassin. It doesn't matter if you like the guy, just appreciate the work he does.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Ozuna typically starts out red hot and then fades in the second half.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

I think mo needs to be creative with trades.

Guys I would like to see shipped out who should still have some value:

1. Rosey (will take anything)
2. Adams
3. Wacha (I can't believe I just wrote that. I thought he would be a baseball legend).
4. Peralta
5. Grichuk

Rosey is the only one I would give away. The rest I would trade in the right deal. But I hope mo is actively trying to move these guys.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Peralta hasn't done anything in 2 years. There's no value there.

Grichuk is a dirt cheap player who gives you 2-3 WAR. I think they'd be wise to keep him. Same for Adams really. Those are the types of cheap, decent filler that the Cardinals should keep on the roster, unless your plan is to completely tank. If that's the plan, then guys like Wainwright and Molina should be dealt, also.

I think Fat is right. Right now probably isn't the time to do anything. Be patient, give guys like Wong, Wacha, Diaz, Reyes, Weaver and Martinez another year to show what we've got, and then build off of that.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

if we are building around those guys then well...we are in trouble.

wong is supplementary at best. wacha is more than likely done as a starter. the jury is still out on diaz, but optimistic.

reyes, weaver and martinez are a nice young core for your pitching staff, so im not really concerned about that.

i really think they need to do a full tear down. we're not catching up with the cubs for the next few years with the team we have. a few minor tweaks here and there arent really going to make us competitive either. jmo

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

go birds wrote:if we are building around those guys then well...we are in trouble.

wong is supplementary at best. wacha is more than likely done as a starter. the jury is still out on diaz, but optimistic.

reyes, weaver and martinez are a nice young core for your pitching staff, so im not really concerned about that.

i really think they need to do a full tear down. we're not catching up with the cubs for the next few years with the team we have. a few minor tweaks here and there arent really going to make us competitive either. jmo
BUT THE SECOND WILDKARD!!!

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

go birds wrote:i really think they need to do a full tear down. we're not catching up with the cubs for the next few years with the team we have. a few minor tweaks here and there arent really going to make us competitive either. jmo
Wouldn't go that far, maybe, but getting rid of guys like Adams (who I can't believe is stll being spoken of like "give him another year, see what he can do" when we've seen what he can do and it's not much) should be a priority. Let's either spend some money or see what the guys coming up can do at the top level.

Padsfs
Everyday Player

Post by Padsfs »

dmarx114 wrote:I think mo needs to be creative with trades.

Guys I would like to see shipped out who should still have some value:

1. Rosey (will take anything)
2. Adams
3. Wacha (I can't believe I just wrote that. I thought he would be a baseball legend).
4. Peralta
5. Grichuk

Rosey is the only one I would give away. The rest I would trade in the right deal. But I hope mo is actively trying to move these guys.
I really hope they don't trade Peralta. Between Wong, Gyorko, and Peralta, you know one of the three will have a down year or get injured (likely Peralta), but it's nice to have some insurance, because I don't trust Greg Garcia or Breyvic Valera or whoever else to shoulder substantial playing time. Same reasoning applies to retaining Pham.

Our minor league middle infield depth took a real hit with the floundering of Jacob Wilson and Patrick Wisdom. Paul DeJong is the next most likely player to make an impact and he needs a few hundred AAA plate appearances.

Padsfs
Everyday Player

Post by Padsfs »

Famous Mortimer wrote:Wouldn't go that far, maybe, but getting rid of guys like Adams (who I can't believe is stll being spoken of like "give him another year, see what he can do" when we've seen what he can do and it's not much) should be a priority. Let's either spend some money or see what the guys coming up can do at the top level.
Adams is a nice bench bat that you can ride for some starts during his hot streaks. He ended the year with a 106 wRC+ this year (111 wRC+ for his career) The average 1B in 2016 had a 108 wRC+. He's not starter material, but he is definitely a positive player on the bench and in semi-platoon situations, especially for just $2.8M. His BABIP was lower than usual last year too. He may turn that around in 2017.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Couple general observations:

It's very tough to get younger and defensively upgrade via FA. Unless it's a player that has almost zero offensive upside, going that route is going to cost something like the Heyward contract. 8/180 at a minimum. So, you get younger at the time, but commit yourself to holding on to the player through their decline. And, if it's a guy like Machado, 8/180 is likely peanuts compare to what he'll command.

Short of a miracle, the Cubs are positioned so well, the Cardinals can't catch them via FA and there's little coming up the pipeline that will do it either. The lower minors have a lot of high ceiling high risk guys, but they're not going to be ready for a couple years. That said, there's still a lot of decent talent on the team and there's no reason to think they can't get in and get hot and win it all. So, it's silly to not keep plugging away. We're one win away from the playoffs last year and as MArtinez matures, he'll get better. Ditto Reyes and Weaver. Wano, Lynn, Wacha, etc provide a depth of arms as well that can help immensely in the playoffs....which is what it's all about.

I very much don't like opt outs, as has been covered ad nauseum. And, I very much don't like front loaded contracts, as has been covered ad nauseum. But, I realize it's impossible to completely avoid these types of things. And, to make the contract more...predictable, you'd have to combine the two things I dislike. So, for a guy like Cespedes if you want him as an easy example and acknowledging the numbers are just made up and not representative of what hte actual demand will be (don't come at me with cespedes won't get that many years/dollars....that can all be adjusted based on what the actual demand is..the purpose is to show how teams can lure a guy to opt out after just a couple years which is the goal), offer 6/180 with a opt out after two years and a mutual opt out after three years and frontload it. The structure would look like this y/salary in million: 1/(45), 2/(45), Opt out option for player, 3/(25), mutual opt out, 4/(25), 5/(20), 6/(20).