None of the above
6%

Total votes: 16

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

2017 Today's Game Era HOF Ballot

Post by Gashouse »

http://baseballhall.org/hof/2017-todays-game-era-ballot

Five former big league players, three executives and two managers comprise the 10-name Today’s Game Era ballot to be reviewed and voted upon Dec. 5 at the Baseball Winter Meetings in National Harbor, Md.

Harold Baines, Albert Belle, Will Clark, Orel Hershiser, Davey Johnson, Mark McGwire, Lou Piniella, John Schuerholz, Bud Selig and George Steinbrenner are the candidates the Today’s Game Era Committee will consider for Hall of Fame election for the Class of 2017. Baines,

Belle, Clark, Hershiser and McGwire are included for the contributions as players. Selig, Schuerholz and Steinbrenner are included for their contributions off the field, and Johnson and Piniella are included for their work as managers. All candidates except for Steinbrenner are living.
personal bias: to include the None of the above option, I combined Hershiser and Johnson because I thought they have 2 of the weaker cases

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: 2017 Today's Game Era HOF Ballot

Post by lukethedrifter »

Today's Game Era? Is this something new, a name change, or -more likely- have I not been paying attention?

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

I think it's new.

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

It's the veteran's committee's way of fixing oversight from the voters on recent players. And here's why it's dumb: it's not putting the serious oversights up. Look at the list above. Now look at this list:
Kenny Lofton
Kevin Brown
Lou Whitaker
Alan Trammell
Todd Helton
Jim Edmonds
All but a couple on my list were off the HOF ballot on their first vote and every single one on my list is more deserving of consideration than every single one on the official ballot. Belle is like the 40th best LF of all-time, Edmonds is the 12th or so best CF of all time. Lofton is the only player in history to add 100 runs in all three aspects: at bat, on the bases, in the field. And they're debating Harold Freaking Baines?

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

http://m.cardinals.mlb.com/news/article ... of-ballot/
The 16-member Today's Game Era Committee is one of four Era Committees identified by the Hall of Fame last July, when the board of directors announced changes to the Era Committee system. The Era Committee system is an avenue for managers, executives and umpires with careers spanning 10 or more years, as well as players who have been retired for more than 15 years, to gain induction.

The Today's Era Ballot consists of individuals whose major career contributions took place from 1988 to the present, as selected by a BBWAA-appointed Historical Overview Committee.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

themiddle54 wrote:It's the veteran's committee's way of fixing oversight from the voters on recent players. And here's why it's dumb: it's not putting the serious oversights up. Look at the list above. Now look at this list:
Kenny Lofton
Kevin Brown
Lou Whitaker
Alan Trammell
Todd Helton
Jim Edmonds
All but a couple on my list were off the HOF ballot on their first vote and every single one on my list is more deserving of consideration than every single one on the official ballot. Belle is like the 40th best LF of all-time, Edmonds is the 12th or so best CF of all time. Lofton is the only player in history to add 100 runs in all three aspects: at bat, on the bases, in the field. And they're debating Harold Freaking Baines?
In their defense, a lot of those players you listed above have not been retired for 15 years yet. But I agree Whitaker and Trammell are serious oversights. Two of the absolute best middle infielders of the 1980s, and they played together to boot.
Last edited by Swirls on October 4 16, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

Agreed - your list requires a lot more thought on a vote. I don't see any players getting in with the official ballot. I could see Selig or Steinbrenner getting in. Maybe Schurholz

I also wonder what the rules are for future consideration? Is this a one and done? Minimum % to maintain future consideration on some other committee?

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Just as long as they get rid of the stupid pre-integration vote every 3 years. I'm sorry to all of the guys on the list but if you're not in the HOF yet, you're not meant to be. Or at least just include them in the vote with the guys from the next group above them.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Swirls wrote:
themiddle54 wrote:It's the veteran's committee's way of fixing oversight from the voters on recent players. And here's why it's dumb: it's not putting the serious oversights up. Look at the list above. Now look at this list:
Kenny Lofton
Kevin Brown
Lou Whitaker
Alan Trammell
Todd Helton
Jim Edmonds
In their defense, a lot of those players you listed above have not been retired for 15 years yet. But I agree Whitaker and Trammell are serious oversights. Two of the absolute best middle infielders of the 1980s, and they played together to boot.
So I guess next year Tim Raines would be eligible? 2002 was his last season. 808 SB, .385 career OBP, 7 ASG, throw in some power (170 HR).

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

heyzeus wrote:
So I guess next year Tim Raines would be eligible? 2002 was his last season. 808 SB, .385 career OBP, 7 ASG, throw in some power (170 HR).
He'll get in by the regular way next year.