Moving on from Adams?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Moving on from Adams?

Post by Farewell Friends »

BW23 wrote:And it's a sign they've finally moved on from Adams. I hope.
Plus, this winter the Cardinals have an openness to dealing controlled players from the major-league roster. Lefty Jaime Garcia and blocked first baseman Matt Adams are two of the players the Cardinals would consider in trade talks, sources outside the team said.

“I would say it this way: Having some roster churn is healthy and what that looks like today it’s hard to say because some of this may come from the trade market, some of it may come from just time to move on,” Mozeliak said. “Until some of the dust settles it’s hard to know exactly how that’s going to look.”

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Re: Moving on from Adams?

Post by JoeMcKim »

Adams has had plenty of time to earn the starting 1B job if he hasn't done it by now he probably isn't going to by this point. He'll just spend the rest of his career being a decent lefthanded pinch hitter for someone else.

jwill182
AA Minor League Player

Post by jwill182 »

Garcia, Adams, Wong, Wacha, Rosenthal, and at least 1 top 5 prospect (except Reyes) should all be fair game in trades.

Molly
Perennial All-Star

Post by Molly »

Does Boston have anyone we can use. Send Adams to them to replace Ortiz.

PA_Hiker
Everyday Player

Post by PA_Hiker »

I have always hoped the Slippery Rock grad (my sister went there) would have panned out like the .280-30+ HR guy we hoped but alas...probably time to trade him for what you can and move on. He is a solid defender at first and can DH...you would think some AL team might take him as a piece in a trade or offer a decent prospect for him.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Molly wrote:Does Boston have anyone we can use. Send Adams to them to replace Ortiz.
I believe that the Red Sox would much more likely be going after Encarnacion in free agency, a guy who's actually proven himself as valuable.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

I wonder where he'll go.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

jwill182 wrote:Garcia, Adams, Wong, Wacha, Rosenthal, and at least 1 top 5 prospect (except Reyes) should all be fair game in trades.
Wong and Rosenthal should be nearly untouchable. Extending Rosenthal because of his bad year should be done ASAP.

Molly
Perennial All-Star

Post by Molly »

sighyoung wrote:Image

I wonder where he'll go.
sigh I'm disappointed in you. Surely you could have photoshopped the jumping Adams in that!

jwill182
AA Minor League Player

Post by jwill182 »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
jwill182 wrote:Garcia, Adams, Wong, Wacha, Rosenthal, and at least 1 top 5 prospect (except Reyes) should all be fair game in trades.
Wong and Rosenthal should be nearly untouchable. Extending Rosenthal because of his bad year should be done ASAP.

Rosenthal wants to start, he's not done extremely well as a closer, he's coming off an injury and horrible season, and we have another closer on the roster and could theoretically add Jansen/Melancon to the mix since we have so much money (which then puts Oh back to 7/8th inning role and GREATLY improves our bullpen). He has a ton of trade value right now, and I don't think he's the right guy for the job here. To me, now is the time to deal him before he worsens his value next season in a role he wants even less than being a Closer.

As for Wong, how long do we have to wait on this kid? He has been with the big league club for huge chunks of the past 4 seasons, getting significant playing time, with and without decent competition to push him... and he's still not put it together. I'm sorry, I wanted him to do well just as much as the next guy did... I even have his freakin jersey in my closet... but I'm tired of waiting on him only for him to play the exact same way every year. Low average, bone-headed errors, poor base-running... it never changes.

We have some players that should be untouchable...but Wong and Rosey aren't on that list, in my opinion.