Jaime Garcia traded to Braves

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Re: Jaime Garcia traded to Braves

Post by vinsanity »

phins wrote:Gant is the best part of the deal [and] is probably closer to 80% to pitch in the majors again. It's probably better than many teams 7th-9th best relievers, so that does add depth.
Love hearing your perspective on prospects.

I did the surface comparison. Other than build, how much different is Gant than Lynn? Is Gant a guy that has a #3 ceiling but maybe a lower floor? Could he realistically settle in for 2 years as a 180 inning back of the rotation guy?

Cronos
In perpetuum

Post by Cronos »

Sucks that we had to trade him when his value was lower, but with his injury history and his history of lying to the staff in the playoffs and starting games he shouldn't, I'm happy with this move.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

They got Dykstra, AND Gant from the Braves? Our 1993 outfield is going to be amazing.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

JL21 wrote:They got Dykstra, AND Gant from the Braves? Our 1993 outfield is going to be amazing.
Nice

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

Took what they could get. Didn't want to get stuck with a $12 million middle reliever.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

Yeah, he's been on the market since at least last June/July. If there was a better deal to be had, I'd assume it would've presented itself by now.

The return isn't exactly overwhelming, but neither is a 30 year old pitcher with a long history of arm problems who disintegrates after 20 starts. Not to run down Jaime's value, which has been very good at times, particularly for his contract. But you gamble on guys like that, even more than you already gamble with any pitcher. You're basically buying a scratch off expecting a $1 payoff, hoping for $10, and fully aware you'll get nothing.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

We got Lenny Dykstra's kid, just don't let Lenny advise any of the Cardinals on financial planning.

Anyways I assume that Dykstra starts next year at AA, Ellis at AAA and Gant at either Cardinals or AAA.

baseburglerlou
Everyday Player

Post by baseburglerlou »

Nails Jr.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

jagtrader wrote:Took what they could get. Didn't want to get stuck with a $12 million middle reliever.
Right. And how long would it have taken to slide him into that position, while still trying to keep his value as high as possible? Come the deadline, and feel like we would be regretting keeping him.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

Saw this link in the Fowler thread and this was fascinating:
Farewell Friends wrote:
Bernie Miklasz wrote:I question if Fowler, who has other offers and options, wants to play for Mike Matheny. So how much would the Cardinals be willing to overpay?
Bernie Miklasz wrote:Among MLB starters who made at least 30 starts in 2016 only Milwaukee’s Chase Anderson had fewer quality starts (6) than Garcia’s 10 last season.

And as I’ve written before: in Cardinals franchise history, there are 198 instances of a pitcher turning in 30 starts in a season — and none had fewer than 10 quality starts. This was one of worst seasons, ever, by a Cards’ rotation regular. Garcia had no consistency.
I knew he'd had a rough year, and QS is a flawed stat, but it still captures how well a pitcher gave his team a chance to win on the surface level. I didn't realize that Jaime was THAT bad this year. I guess it's just that when he was good, he was amazing and that compensated a tiny bit for the flotilla of garbage starts.