Yankees sign Matt Holliday

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Re: Yankees sign Matt Holliday

Post by JoeMcKim »

Is this deal since still not official yet? This news came out on Tuesday and still no concrete info on if Holliday put ink to paper yet.

doe_boy
Hall Of Famer

Post by doe_boy »

This was a Facebook post of mine back in 2013 when Beltran signed with the Yankees.
I wish there was an everyday life equivalent for the New York Yankees. A place where people of advancing age and declining skills could go and make some serious jack. That would be cool.
I still feel that way.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Holliday has a NTC to the A's and no one else LOL

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Just caught my first glimpse of Matt in pinstripes. Gonna take some getting used to.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

It's odd. I have almost no warm feelings toward Holliday in the way I did toward say, Edmonds or Rolen and certainly not Albert or Yadi. Or if Marp were to leave.

Not really bothered a bit that he's gone.

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

For me, he's kind of in between but closer to Edmonds/Rolen than Berkman/Beltran. he was a long-time solid contributor, but really didn't grab a "face of the franchise" that others had. he's much more of a franchise icon than Beltran or Berkman, I feel a little weird that his departure feels a little more like Berkman or Beltran than a long time Cardinal staple that he kind of was. But he didn't really accomplish the positional excellence that E / R did to put him in the realm of solid-HOVG and arguably-HOF territory.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

I think most of us have memories of guys like Edmonds and Rolen being post-season heroes, so some degree. Our memory of Holliday may be the ball clanging off of his satchel in left field, unfortunately.

I was trying to think.......... did Holliday ever have an "epic" post-season moment?

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Socnorb11 wrote:I think most of us have memories of guys like Edmonds and Rolen being post-season heroes, so some degree. Our memory of Holliday may be the ball clanging off of his satchel in left field, unfortunately.

I was trying to think.......... did Holliday ever have an "epic" post-season moment?
We don't make the World Series in 2013 without his 2 run homer in game 4 in Pittsburgh.

Also hit the tying homer in the World Series off Lester in game 5.

DownUnderDon
Fringe Major League Player

Post by DownUnderDon »

Given that I was new to Baseball at the time, my main postseason memory of Matt Holliday (who I really like) is of him getting picked off at 3rd & then yanked from the game with a sore finger in Game 6.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Holliday is a player I feel like I'll be defending until the day I die, arguing that he was under appreciated in St. Louis. If you look at Cardinal all-time leaderboards he is around the top 30 or better in most categories. He has contributed a tremendous amount to this club. Being at the ballpark to send him off in that last game against the Pirates is a new favorite Cardinals memory of mine.

I'd agree that he doesn't have any major defining moments that stick out in your memory (positive ones, at least) but that's sort of who he is. He was often right in the middle of the success but rarely the headline of it. For example, in the 2011 World Series I sort of think of him as being a non-factor until I remember that he walked 7 times and scored 5 runs in just 6 games.

I'll be watching Matt closer in New York this year than I had followed other "famous" Cardinals once they moved on in their careers.
//end man crush