26%
Other
6%

Total votes: 31

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Re: Decision Time: Eaton vs. Fowler vs. Cain

Post by Fat Strat »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:Gee Mo... it's almost like waiting for moves to happen is a bad idea.
In fairness to Mo, I haven't seen a deal yet -- rumored or confirmed -- that I thought he should have made.

And we do have an offer, whether formal or informal, on the table for Fowler. The fact that he hasn't taken it, though, is not encouraging at all.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

Fat Strat wrote:I just read from Goold that the Sox are seeking a deal that's just below what they got for Sale for Eaton.

Scratch him off.
Goold wrote:Think in terms of what they got for Sale, and dial it back a Moncada -- so not the top prospect but a top-tier, top 50 type prospect.
Wouldn't Weaver+Flaherty+2 more fit that bill? Weaver (top 50), Flaherty (top 100 on the list posted earlier).

Is that too expensive?

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Fat Strat wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:Gee Mo... it's almost like waiting for moves to happen is a bad idea.
In fairness to Mo, I haven't seen a deal yet -- rumored or confirmed -- that I thought he should have made.

And we do have an offer, whether formal or informal, on the table for Fowler. The fact that he hasn't taken it, though, is not encouraging at all.
I would've been cool with the Gomez deal. I would've aimed higher than that, but I'd have been on board. Then again, he supposedly turned down multi year offers to go back to the Rangers, so maybe it never was an option.

AFA going 5 years on Fowler... I probably would, but I wouldn't love it.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

Fat Strat wrote:Question now I want to hear answered from Fowler fans: Would you go 5 years?
Is 3/75 an option?

Fat Strat

Post by Fat Strat »

Fat Strat

Post by Fat Strat »

vinsanity wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:Question now I want to hear answered from Fowler fans: Would you go 5 years?
Is 3/75 an option?
I don't know. I'm just asking about 5 years because that's what Desmond got and the assumption is that Fowler would also now demand 5 years.

Plus, I don't think many of us care about the money. I don't. It's years. I think year 3 and 4 or Fowler could be troublesome. Year 5? We'll be lucky if Fowler is still able to actually play baseball 5 years from now let alone produce at a level comparable to his salary.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Cards get gunshy again, and another team swoops in.

Fat Strat

Post by Fat Strat »

vinsanity wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:I just read from Goold that the Sox are seeking a deal that's just below what they got for Sale for Eaton.

Scratch him off.
Goold wrote:Think in terms of what they got for Sale, and dial it back a Moncada -- so not the top prospect but a top-tier, top 50 type prospect.
Wouldn't Weaver+Flaherty+2 more fit that bill? Weaver (top 50), Flaherty (top 100 on the list posted earlier).

Is that too expensive?
I wouldn't do that for Eaton, and I'm Eaton's biggest fan on here.

When you consider moving guys like Weaver and Flaherty, consider the production that we have received over the years from guys like Lynn, Wainwright, Rosenthal, Miller, Wacha, and Haren.

We have built a good portion of our success over the last 17 years on guys that are compare favorably to Weaver an Flaherty. I don't want to part with them unless it's a for a truly elite impact performer. Eaton, as much as I like him, is not that kind of guy.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Fat Strat wrote:
vinsanity wrote:
Is 3/75 an option?
I don't know. I'm just asking about 5 years because that's what Desmond got and the assumption is that Fowler would also now demand 5 years.

Plus, I don't think many of us care about the money. I don't. It's years. I think year 3 and 4 or Fowler could be troublesome. Year 5? We'll be lucky if Fowler is still able to actually play baseball 5 years from now let alone produce at a level comparable to his salary.
You could possibly Peralta-ize that deal. Frontload it to hell.

Fat Strat

Post by Fat Strat »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:
vinsanity wrote:
Is 3/75 an option?

You could possibly Peralta-ize that deal. Frontload it to hell.
Or front load it and give him an opt-out after 3 and let him try to get another pay day. Time to get really creative with Fowler, if Eaton is truly off the board.