Nationals Acquire Adam Eaton

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
go birds
-go birds

Re: Nationals Close To Acquiring Adam Eaton

Post by go birds »

Popeye_Card wrote:So if we think we are 10+ wins behind the Cubs on paper, and it doesn't make a difference if you miss a wild card spot by 1 win or 15 wins, is the better option for the Cardinals this winter to actually shop some of their more attractive players that may not be core guys 2-3 years from now?

Marp? Lynn? Wong? Heck even throw Piscotty and Diaz out there as options, and see who nibbles. This may just be a dynamite trade market this winter with the free agent class being so poor.
Yep. I've been on board with this since the season ended.

The roster, as constructed, will be dreadful to watch next year.

Problem is...I wouldn't expect mo to get good return on our players.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

JL21 wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:Also, I think the Nats overpaid by a lot, but let's not act like there's not a disconnect on our end either. A good number of y'all balked at including the 11th rated prospect in our system-- not in baseball, just our system-- for a guy who fetched a top 5 and a top 50 overall prospect.
You're comparing internet baseball posters with the real actions of an MLB franchise. That's not even apples and oranges. It's apples and monkey turds.
ok.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

go birds wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:So if we think we are 10+ wins behind the Cubs on paper, and it doesn't make a difference if you miss a wild card spot by 1 win or 15 wins, is the better option for the Cardinals this winter to actually shop some of their more attractive players that may not be core guys 2-3 years from now?

Marp? Lynn? Wong? Heck even throw Piscotty and Diaz out there as options, and see who nibbles. This may just be a dynamite trade market this winter with the free agent class being so poor.
Yep. I've been on board with this since the season ended.

The roster, as constructed, will be dreadful to watch next year.

Problem is...I wouldn't expect mo to get good return on our players.
I don't know if we know. We haven't been sellers since 1999, unless you count trying to dump Edmonds and Rolen.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:Also, I think the Nats overpaid by a lot, but let's not act like there's not a disconnect on our end either. A good number of y'all balked at including the 11th rated prospect in our system-- not in baseball, just our system-- for a guy who fetched a top 5 and a top 50 overall prospect.
Who's that? Seriously asking, because I'm not sure who you are talking about. Bader?

Fat Strat

Post by Fat Strat »

I am beginning to wonder the same thing. What could we get for Marp and Lynn?

Regardless, I really am OK with us just passing on everything. We'll see about Fowler, but it really doesn't look like he's going to get a deal that we can stomach in terms of length. Money, appears to be no issue at all. Even according to Goold today. Said so in his chat. It's all about years.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Fat Strat wrote:

Regardless, I really am OK with us just passing on everything. We'll see about Fowler, but it really doesn't look like he's going to get a deal that we can stomach in terms of length. Money, appears to be no issue at all. Even according to Goold today. Said so in his chat. It's all about years.

So then, what would be the point in running it back?

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Waino...........

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

Fat Strat wrote:

But isn't getting a player who will decline and not be worth his contract toward the end of his deal not about money?

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

This was the year to sell. And here we sit in our pee-pants.

Fat Strat

Post by Fat Strat »

Spider John wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:

But isn't getting a player who will decline and not be worth his contract toward the end of his deal not about money?
Yeah, I guess it is, but at that point the player becomes the issue, not his salary. I'm concerned with what Fowler will be in year 5, not what he will cost us. But, there are ways of dealing with that, too.