Update: Yadi gettin' paid y'all, 3/$60-ish

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: Cards and Yadi have discussed extension

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Maybe the fact that the Cardinals sat matheny and didn't resign him instead trusting Yadi at the plate that directly led to a WS would influence Matheny's decision.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

goold's on High Heat right now talking to maddog and stated that dewitt is looking to make a "significant offer" this week and is not afraid to "get creative".

I'm thinking the money will be big and the years will be small....then something along the lines of a "personal services" clause or something--perhaps similar to what pujols got.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Yeah. Losing Yadi over a few million is silly when you no doubt want him the franchise post retirement.

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Post by Farewell Friends »

I suspect something gets done by the end of the week. The Cardinals seem motivated and Molina has all the leverage and public opinion on his side. I think it's going to be a deal that backfires, costing the Cardinals wins as soon as next season. It should free up Kelly as a trade chip and maybe the Cardinals can revisit Quintana at the trade deadline.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Yadi wanted 4, Cards offered 2... so probably 3 years and IDGAF about the dollars.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I think there is something to be said in paying a player for what they've been worth to a franchise. Yadi has been a great Cardinal; and he might not be as great as he was when he was in his early 20s; but he wasn't making bank back then either. So you overpay him at the end of his career while you underpay him in the front part of his career. I think Yadi deserves something for his loyalty. He very easily could have passed on signing that 5 year extension and hit the open market and made a whole lot more than what the Cardinals paid him. He also did this in the shadow of the Pujols departure; which stunned many people regardless of how it is spun with today's hindsight. I know that is not a popular stance to those that only want sound financial decisions; but baseball should never just be about the money for the fans. It should be about the game and living and dying with the players that you love to watch.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

I guess it's odd that I don't really care if this gets done. Molina probably doesn't have much time left and it's no fun watching a great player who can't do it anymore.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

He can still do some things. This play from today is pretty ridiculous. I think if you sign him for 3 years with the idea he plays full time this year, 100 next year and 80 the last he could be a productive player and help the transition to Kelly.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

I also think 3 years, similar contract to Peralta (step downs). It will be something like $20M/$17M/$14M.

I am still not entirely in favor of extending Yadi because I'm not entirely convinced that this deal won't keep us from pursuing significant talent down the road. Having Yadi is nice, but if we really want to return to championship contention, we're going to need what Yadi (or AW, Holliday, Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds, Carpenter) were in their primes. You have to have a couple of those guys. Carlos Martinez is the only player on this club that really has a shot at an All-Star appearance based on likely production at their position (Carpenter won't at 1b). We need more talent, not longer commitments to declining talents. If committing another $50M to Yadi keeps us from pursuing that talent, then I would rather let Yadi go.