Maybe game doesn't need to be sped up

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Cardspitching715
Fringe Major League Player

Maybe game doesn't need to be sped up

Post by Cardspitching715 »

That was a riveting game! I was surprised when it was done that it took 3.5 hours. Usually I'd be the first to complain about a 4-3 game taking 3.5 hours but 5 minutes was due to Baez complaint about the sign at home. Do close games feel as long to you?

sjgoten6
All-Star

Re: Maybe game doesn't need to be sped up

Post by sjgoten6 »

When it's a good game I don't even care what time it is because I'm too involved. I realize it at the end when I'm the only person awake and I realized I shouted a couple times and managed not to wake the kids up. Since it does get pretty late, I guess it would be nicer if it ended before 11pm.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Obviously, there's a limit, but who'd be upset if all the dead time (guys adjusting their gloves after every swing, etc.) was gotten rid of? I actually quite liked what Manfred said in the booth - that he understood it wouldn't make a big difference, but was starting a conversation about getting the games to move a bit quicker.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

There also has something to do with it being the season opener where after 5 full months since meaningful baseball that it can keep people as interested. Let's see if they have the same opinion if the same game was played on a random Wednesday in June.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

I definitely could tell a few times that the game was dragging a bit, around the 7th or so. It had some excitement, but 3.5 hours for a 4-3 game that takes 9 innings and only had scoring in 3 of the half innings is not much of an achievement.

If you haven't already, take a look at this unscientific but telling article: http://www.sbnation.com/a/mlb-2017-seas ... ame-length

In short, Brisbee found a game from 1984 on Youtube and then found one from 2014 with almost identical characteristics. The 2014 game was a half hour longer, partially due to commercials(~10 minutes), but more due to longer gaps between pitches(~25 minutes). Cutting out an extra 5 seconds or so between each pitch would make a big difference in the cadence of the game without upsetting anyone. It'll probably take a pitch clock to get there, but the fact that this didn't use to be a problem(and that MiLB is using one without issue) should allay some of the fears about using it.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

last night dragged- the discussion with Baez about the MLB at bat sign. The replay at 2nd with Fowler. took way too long. No sense of urgency to get it done. when they said something about rain coming in - I think it was 1-0 at the time. I felt nothing but dread.

Maybe it's just players officials etc working out the kinks on opening day. Fans in the stadium seemed out of it for a while, and definitely the ESPN announcers were boring and killing time with more 2016 chatter. My first mute of the season.
JoeMcKim wrote:There also has something to do with it being the season opener where after 5 full months since meaningful baseball that it can keep people as interested. Let's see if they have the same opinion if the same game was played on a random Wednesday in June.
yep- because it was first game and against cubs, i was more interested in it - otherwise I could have skipped watching at least an hour of that game.

Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

Post by Secret Weapon »

The thing I hate is replay. I was watching the Yankees and Rays game earlier in the day, and there was a call in the second inning on a play at first base that took awhile to sort out due to replay. It's like the season just started and you have to stop everything for this.

If anything, I would only allow replay after the 7th inning.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

I don't know the solution. But reviewing a routine force out at second in the hopes the middle infielder may have pulled his foot off the bag a fraction early isn't a worthwhile use of time.