What's Hosmer worth?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

What's Hosmer worth?

Post by cardsfansince82 »

I was talking to a Royals fan friend about this and figured I would throw it out here. If you trust the numbers he's....the most overrated player in baseball? He's had two solid years at the plate and has somehow managed to win three gold gloves while being average at best defensively. The Royals will have a lot of pressure to sign him because he's a huge fan favorite and they've sold him all along as a star and team leader. What do you think he gets as a free agent? It seems like everybody who's anybody starts at about $16/per year but given how hyped Hosmer is he will be asking for $20+ star money. I'm not sure the Royals can field a good team with that much payroll tied up in a guy who is thoroughly mediocre. I could see it end up being a situation where they are bidding against themselves because no one else wants him that badly.

ZigZagCardsFan
Perennial All-Star

Re: What's Hosmer worth?

Post by ZigZagCardsFan »

After 2015 I thought Hosmer was going to be Matt Carpenter lite. Solid AVG, OBP, 20Ish bombs.

Had no idea how he fared last year. Looks like a classic example of sacrificing AVG/patience for the long ball. If he were a free agent today I think you're close with $16M per. 3 with an option.

In fact, unless he really struggles next year, I think that's where he'll be next offseason.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

He had a terrible 2016, but I do think he's got star quality and am quietly rooting for him to turn it round. He's a fun player to watch. Anything like a decent season in 2017 and I reckon he's getting 9 figures as a FA (very low 9 figures, I reckon, but still).

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Hosmer has never been a Top 10 first baseman by wOBA or wRC+, he is more or less AL Lucas Duda.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Famous Mortimer wrote:He had a terrible 2016, but I do think he's got star quality and am quietly rooting for him to turn it round. He's a fun player to watch. Anything like a decent season in 2017 and I reckon he's getting 9 figures as a FA (very low 9 figures, I reckon, but still).
This is what I think too. I also believe the Duffy extension this week signaled the Royals believing they will get priced out of Hoz. I think Moose will be the guy they think they can retain while the Yankees give Hosmer $100 million.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Famous Mortimer wrote:He had a terrible 2016, but I do think he's got star quality and am quietly rooting for him to turn it round. He's a fun player to watch. Anything like a decent season in 2017 and I reckon he's getting 9 figures as a FA (very low 9 figures, I reckon, but still).
This is what I think too. I also believe the Duffy extension this week signaled the Royals believing they will get priced out of Hoz. I think Moose will be the guy they think they can retain while the Yankees give Hosmer $100 million.
That's about what I expect to happen, although maybe not with the Yankees given some of their DH/1B prospects. He would be fine as a luxury item for a big payroll team a la Heyward. I just don't see him as a core, middle of the order build your team around kind of guy for a team like the Royals.