Alex Reyes out for season (page 8)

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Re: Alex Reyes out for season (page 8)

Post by cardsfantx »

IMADreamer wrote:Blaming MM criticism on him loving Jesus is silly. He's a terrible manager. His bullpen management in atrocious, his teams don't seem to play fundamentally sound baseball. bunts, oh my god the bunts. You can point to several games over the past few years, including playoff games where MM lost the game for the Cardinals.
and that's fine...but as i said; maddon is just as bad if not worse (particularly with bullpen usage).

would you trade matheny for maddon? if so, why? (when maddon is worse at the things you just mentioned)

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Bringing Wacha in during Game 6 has to be the most bone headed move by a manager in recent memory. Maybe ever. He's a [expletive] dumbass when it comes to managing a game and I for one wouldn't be the least bit upset if he went away to coach pee wee baseball again. Others have said he must be good at the benind the scenes stuff and there is probably some truth to that, but he is infuriating to watch as a tactician and, in the end, the on field product is all that matters.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I'd trade Maddon for MM in a heartbeat. Don't know why it's believed Maddon is worse with bullpens. He made a mistake last year in game 6 throwing Chapman so long. But, he adapted to what Francona was doing in a day. He threw the old way of managing a bullpen out the window when he saw something else working (Miller going multiple innings and shortening the game). So, kudos to that. I highly doubt MM would have been able to shift course so quickly.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:I'd trade Maddon for MM in a heartbeat. Don't know why it's believed Maddon is worse with bullpens. He made a mistake last year in game 6 throwing Chapman so long. But, he adapted to what Francona was doing in a day. He threw the old way of managing a bullpen out the window when he saw something else working (Miller going multiple innings and shortening the game). So, kudos to that. I highly doubt MM would have been able to shift course so quickly.
it wasn't just the world series. maddon has always been bad at bullpen management. now, he spent a lot of years in the AL, where it's not a real issue since the pitcher doesn't hit, but he's been bad (worse than matheny) at bullpen management since he took over the cubs/since he's been in the NL.

BW23
Hall Of Famer

Post by BW23 »

That's my point. Maddon is just as bad, IMO. Is Francona really any better? I don't think so. Then again, very, very few were clamoring for Francona prior to his run last year. And if these two are the ones guys prefer because they hate Matheny's in-game managing, then it's even more stupid.

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Post by Farewell Friends »

I wasn't here when the Sox fired Francona, but I wanted him badly. I thought Francona was the best candidate to mesh the front office's vision with the dugout.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

vinsanity wrote:While most of those 2016 ERAs are terrible, I would wonder what's the risk to signing one of those guys to a 1/3MM type deal. I see Fister as a 4.64 on Fangraphs and most peripherals, besides walks, in line with career numbers. Velocity is a tick lower the last three seasons than his previous three, so you probably won't luck in to a 4 win pitcher, but what's the harm? Niese is another GB machine that could very well bounceback at only 30. Velocity seems fine so it doesn't seem like injury is the problem.

Worst case the guy sucks for 8 weeks and Weaver is in AAA ready to be called up when he gets DFA'd?
Dog Fister's stuff has been declining for a few years, and it was especially noticeable in 2015. His velocity is down, his swing and miss % is down, his hard contact % is up... If the choice was to go with Fister or just give the job to Weaver, I'd take Weaver. I'm not sure I wouldn't rather give John Gant a shot before I'd go with Fister.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

BW23 wrote:That's my point. Maddon is just as bad, IMO. Is Francona really any better? I don't think so. Then again, very, very few were clamoring for Francona prior to his run last year. And if these two are the ones guys prefer because they hate Matheny's in-game managing, then it's even more stupid.
Call me stupid then but I'd absolutely take Francona or Maddon over Matheny.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

This is not a perfect count, but the Cardinals have the second most confirmed reports of MLB players getting Tommy John Surgery. The Cubs are 7th to last with just 10, compared to the Cardinals' 22. When you count MiLB players, the Cubs have the most with 31 and the Cardinals have the 10th fewest in baseball with 20.

MLB Players w/TJS:

1. Atlanta, 26
2. St. Louis, 22
3. San Diego, 22
4. Washington, 20
5. Oakland, 19
6. Kansas City, 19
7. Miami, 18
8. Texas, 17
9. Philadelphia, 17
10. New York Mets, 17

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

Hoot45 wrote:This is not a perfect count, but the Cardinals have the second most confirmed reports of MLB players getting Tommy John Surgery. The Cubs are 7th to last with just 10, compared to the Cardinals' 22. When you count MiLB players, the Cubs have the most with 31 and the Cardinals have the 10th fewest in baseball with 20.

MLB Players w/TJS:

1. Atlanta, 26
2. St. Louis, 22
3. San Diego, 22
4. Washington, 20
5. Oakland, 19
6. Kansas City, 19
7. Miami, 18
8. Texas, 17
9. Philadelphia, 17
10. New York Mets, 17
That's interesting, but how far does it go back? And where are you finding the data? (not to question your count... just kind of curious where it's coming from)