Alex Reyes out for season (page 8)

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
a_smith
Perennial All-Star

Re: Alex Reyes out for season (page 8)

Post by a_smith »

haltz wrote:I'm sure no one holds a gun to a new player's head while they lead bible study and play ultimate frisbee, but I guarantee that feeling like you're at an FCA meeting is unavoidable at times. I think that goes for most college and professional sports teams though to at least some extent.
Ultimate and bible study? That's funny. That's a combo I've never heard of.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

cardsfantx wrote:
Pudgelewis wrote:
haltz wrote:I'm sure no one holds a gun to a new player's head while they lead bible study and play ultimate frisbee, but I guarantee that feeling like you're at an FCA meeting is unavoidable at times. I think that goes for most college and professional sports teams though to at least some extent.
I absolutely agree if you weren't a "believer" it could easily present an uncomfortable atmosphere due to the type of activities that are, or I guess are not, present in the clubhouse, but I also wouldn't classify something like that as forcing one's beliefs on another.
yeah, but then a christian could also feel uncomfortable in an environment where people are listening to songs with cussing, players cussing, talking about [expletive] and ass, and who they [expletive] last night.
Christians don't cuss or have sex? Yikes.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Belle and Sebastian wrote:She was into S&M and bible studies
Not everyone's cup of tea she would admit to me
Her cup of tea, she would admit to no one
Her cup of tea, she would admit to me

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
cardsfantx wrote:
Pudgelewis wrote:
I absolutely agree if you weren't a "believer" it could easily present an uncomfortable atmosphere due to the type of activities that are, or I guess are not, present in the clubhouse, but I also wouldn't classify something like that as forcing one's beliefs on another.
yeah, but then a christian could also feel uncomfortable in an environment where people are listening to songs with cussing, players cussing, talking about [expletive] and ass, and who they [expletive] last night.
Christians don't cuss or have sex? Yikes.
Yes. That is why Christians are is such a bad mood all the time.

BW23
Hall Of Famer

Post by BW23 »

The whole idea of MM's beliefs having a negative effect is one of the most ridiculous things this board has ever brought up.

Well, at least in the baseball forum. It's topped hourly elsewhere.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

wart57 wrote:
vinsanity wrote:
BW23 wrote:Yeah, to say Matheny had nothing or even little to do with a team that won 100 games after tragically losing a teammate/top prospect, an ace to injury, to the middle of the lineup to injury...it's just stupid.
Using one season to suggest Matheny is a good manager isn't any more wise.

Why have the seemed to underperform most season's under him?

Rk Year Age Tm Lg W L W-L% Ties G Finish Wpost Lpost W-L%post
1 2012 41 St. Louis Cardinals NL 88 74 .543 0 162 2 7 6 .538
2 2013 42 St. Louis Cardinals NL 97 65 .599 0 162 1 9 8 .529 NL Pennant
3 2014 43 St. Louis Cardinals NL 90 72 .556 0 162 1 4 5 .444
4 2015 44 St. Louis Cardinals NL 100 62 .617 0 162 1 1 3 .250
5 2016 45 St. Louis Cardinals NL 86 76 .531 0 162 2 0 0
5 years 461 349 .569 0 810 1.4 21 22 .488 1 Pennant

Terrible....

I don't think Matheny is the best manager, but I think for the most part he is competent. He can be better, and I hope he grows more this year. But if the team tanks this year, I would be fine with him being let go. You need to get results as a Manager.
Matheny's OK. He doesn't wow me with his tactical brilliance but he adjusts. He used Oh like a fireman down the stretch and didn't get any credit for it. He won 90 games in 2014 with a team that scored 619 runs and had a plus-16 differential. He won 100 games with a team that scored fewer than 4 runs per game. First time it happened since 1969.

Managerial love/hate is mostly groupthink or applying an unrealistic standard by obsessively following every move with one-tenth of the information. He's not holding this team back. The organizational philosophy might be doing that.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

What does plus-16 mean?

obucard
Perennial All-Star

Post by obucard »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:What does plus-16 mean?
I'm guessing run differential.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:What does plus-16 mean?

I think it's his damage modifier with his Vorpal sward while playing DnD.

Kincaid
Veteran Player

Post by Kincaid »

That sounds pretty good, but then he has to take a -2 penalty when he rolls for his closer's performance due to his character's blinded-by-loyalty trait.