World Baseball Classic

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
go birds
-go birds

World Baseball Classic

Post by go birds »

Corey Baker tossed 4 2/3 scoreless innings in Team Israel's victory over Chinese Taipei at the World Baseball Classic.
Baker, who has played his entire pro career in the Cardinals minor league system, allowed three hits while walking none and striking out three. Chinese Taipei showed some signs of life offensively after Baker left the game, but Team Israel's offense was just too much
hell yea St. Louis Cardinals player Corey Baker of Israel

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: World Baseball Classic

Post by heyzeus »

Go dudes who had one Jewish grandma!

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

go birds wrote:
Corey Baker tossed 4 2/3 scoreless innings in Team Israel's victory over Chinese Taipei at the World Baseball Classic.
Baker, who has played his entire pro career in the Cardinals minor league system, allowed three hits while walking none and striking out three. Chinese Taipei showed some signs of life offensively after Baker left the game, but Team Israel's offense was just too much
hell yea St. Louis Cardinals player Corey Baker of Israel
He absolutely attacked CT with sinkers. Didn't overpower, but for 4 innings they looked lost.

Any idea why Sherriff didn't fly out to join Isreal?

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Team Israel also features Jason Marquis as their other primary starter besides Corey Baker.

Kincaid
Veteran Player

Post by Kincaid »

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:Any idea why Sherriff didn't fly out to join Isreal?
He's part of their Designated Pitcher Pool, which means he's not active for the group stage but can be added to the roster to replace another pitcher for a later round if they want. Pitchers who are in the DPP but not active for a given round have to report to Spring Training with their professional club, so he has to stay in Florida for the time being.

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

Didn't Israel beat South Korea, too? Are they 2-0 now?

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Kincaid wrote:
MinorLeagueGuy wrote:Any idea why Sherriff didn't fly out to join Isreal?
He's part of their Designated Pitcher Pool, which means he's not active for the group stage but can be added to the roster to replace another pitcher for a later round if they want. Pitchers who are in the DPP but not active for a given round have to report to Spring Training with their professional club, so he has to stay in Florida for the time being.
Thank you

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Gashouse wrote:Didn't Israel beat South Korea, too? Are they 2-0 now?
Correct. Oh's coming home.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I believe with Sheriff the decision was made by him because he wants to focus on trying to make the big league club and with other pitchers being out of camp for the WBC, it gives him a better shot by staying in Jupiter. Being 26, he doesn't have forever to finally make a big league club. I could be completely wrong about all of that but I think that's what I remember.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

tlombard wrote:I believe with Sheriff the decision was made by him because he wants to focus on trying to make the big league club and with other pitchers being out of camp for the WBC, it gives him a better shot by staying in Jupiter. Being 26, he doesn't have forever to finally make a big league club. I could be completely wrong about all of that but I think that's what I remember.
Good point. Especially since its looking like Siegrist won't be ready.