3/13 GDT: Is this over yet

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Swirls
gone fission

Re: 3/13 GDT: Is this over yet

Post by Swirls »

Farewell Friends wrote:Well, every arm is different, but Lance Lynn was already throwing rehab games in August, nine months after his surgery. I just can't think of many recent examples of guys taking a full year of recovery before even going into full workouts. Not saying that's the worst thing because maybe he'll be stronger.

I do think MiLg is right that his stock has fallen some. Unfortunately, he's lost two years of development and it looks like he has to leapfrog a few guys to get back in the conversation as a starter.
Lance Lynn's freakish recovery time for a pitcher is the exception, not the norm. Now, the recovery time is significantly less for position players. I think their recovery is normally 6-9 months.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

In most minor league situations, when a guy is stagnant, whether injured or hit the talent ceiling, for 2 years his stock falls. Rarely, an uber talent comes along, where something like this might not affect his tag. Strasburg, for instance, would be the type of talent where a couple years like Marc has had wouldn't change the hype behind him. Gonzo is just a guy, and if he struggles through this year our young international guys are going to make it near impossible for him to crack this team. I still think Marco is one trade to Colorado away.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Farewell Friends wrote:Still another 20 days until the season. Game will be on FSMW. Here's some notes from Jen Langosch this morning:

-Peralta looks good defensively and has put himself in position to be the opening day starter. He's in the BSHOL.

-Came into camp thinking Pham would be fourth outfielder, Jose Martinez has leapfrogged him. Pham has been underwhelming. He can't play first and still strikes out. Some of the issues from the past have popped up. Would be shocked if anything develops in the next two weeks that changes it.

-Can see Bader in MLB sooner rather than later. May come a point in the season where he and DeJong will be brought to the main roster even if they won't get regular at-bats.

-Gant has opened a lot of eyes. Cards have tough decisions ahead. Rosenthal won't have time to build up for a multi-inning role, but If the Cards want that reliever, Gant is in the conversation. Socolovich as well.
Backup first baseman must be the most important position here. It's all I can think for why Matt Adams still has a job.
Yeah. Fortunately for Pham, there are literally about a dozen other guys on the roster that can play first