Post by go birds »

lol

may have to give double birds a follow

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: Cardinals Coverage by STL Journos

Post by ghostrunner »

I actually like that Gordon headline.

With the PD baseball coverage, you've got 4-5 people doing the work of 1-2.

Goold writes a pretty thoughtful straightforward column, but he can be a little bland. Given that, there's probably room for a Miklasz type who stirs the pot a little while also capable of communicating genuine joy when things are going well. Almost like a newspaper analog to the play by play and the color announcers. But sports journalism seems to demand excessive provocative takes, and there's an appetite for inflated baseball coverage in a place like St. Louis. Much like there's an appetite for inflated NFL coverage everywhere else.

I can hardly stand to read most of it anymore. I love following the team, but it's hard to feel like coverage of a baseball team is worthwhile. I used to be more into the behind the scenes stuff and try to find locker room interviews online, but I've gotten to where everything I'm interested in knowing is represented on the field, good and bad. A lot of that is probably personal - shifting time, priorities, etc...

BW23
Hall Of Famer

Post by BW23 »

Goold is extremely good. I've got nothing else to say about the rest.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Actually pretty good

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... 57aa0.html
John Mozeliak and Mike Matheny talked about improving the defense and athleticism so much this offseason, you almost thought it was part of the Cardinals’ 2017 marketing slogan.

Two weeks into the season, though, the Cardinals appear eerily similar to the 2016 edition, only without the offensive pop. With 10 errors in 11 games, the defense has been lacking throughout the entire diamond. Even worse, the Matt Adams experiment in left field betrays any semblance of a commitment to improved defense or athleticism.

and this
The fielding stats would say he has a perfect fielding percentage with no errors on six chances in 27 1/3 innings in left field this season, but that doesn’t account for his lack of range or the advance defensive metrics that show he would be minus 44 runs below the average left fielder over 1,200 innings.
and I like this

I didn’t promise the Cardinals would play better defense and display more athleticism. We didn’t make up those quotes all winter. Mozeliak and Matheny made those vows, but Mozeliak can do only so much.

Matheny makes out the lineup. Only he can deliver on the promises the Cardinals made. Is he committed to better defense and more athleticism? Only he knows, but the first two weeks don’t support his offseason promises.

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Post by Farewell Friends »

Matheny deserves all the blame for Adams, but Mozeliak is the one who looked at the roster and thought everything would be fixed by adding Fowler and moving Carpenter to first. At some point, they have to acknowledge that a handful of these guys just can't do any better and move on.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Ortiz is the most (only?) critical of the Cards on the P-D. It's amazing to me Langosch has held them to the fire more than the P-D (FSMW should but I'm not surprised they don't.)

Also if Mo is determined to hitch his wagon to the Matheny star, then he sinks or swims with it.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Ben Frederickson is having a chat in 20 minutes. Goold misses his chat for the second time in two weeks. I can't imagine why.

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Post by Farewell Friends »

Tim wrote:Ben Frederickson is having a chat in 20 minutes. Goold misses his chat for the second time in two weeks. I can't imagine why.
I think it's the third straight Monday he's not chatting. He mentioned something towards the end of spring training how they wanted to get Hummel and BenFred more involved.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Farewell Friends wrote:
Tim wrote:Ben Frederickson is having a chat in 20 minutes. Goold misses his chat for the second time in two weeks. I can't imagine why.
I think it's the third straight Monday he's not chatting. He mentioned something towards the end of spring training how they wanted to get Hummel and BenFred more involved.
Gotcha.
J/K about the time of the chat. Looks like 1pm central.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »