4/20 GDT: Cardinals (Martinez) vs. Brewers (Davies)

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Re: 4/20 GDT: Cardinals (Martinez) vs. Brewers (Davies)

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Farewell Friends wrote:Of all the disappointments on this team -- and there are a lot -- Carlos Martinez is No. 1. I can't recall him ever pitching as poorly as he has the last 11 days.
I have. He usually goes through these slumps during some point of the season. Last year in May he went 1-5 with an ERA over 5.00. He always eventually rights the ship.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

Martinez needs to spend a little less time on His Bo Derek hair and a little more time on his pitching...

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Magneto2.0 wrote:
Farewell Friends wrote:Of all the disappointments on this team -- and there are a lot -- Carlos Martinez is No. 1. I can't recall him ever pitching as poorly as he has the last 11 days.
I have. He usually goes through these slumps during some point of the season. Last year in May he went 1-5 with an ERA over 5.00. He always eventually rights the ship.
This makes him not an ace right?

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Hoot45 wrote:
Magneto2.0 wrote:
This makes him not an ace right?
He's a top 15-20 pitcher, so I guess he's an Ace. Depends on how many people you consider Aces. He's not Syndergaard, Sale, Kershaw, Bumgarner level. He's about Chris Archer, Gerrit Cole, Stroman level.

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Post by Farewell Friends »

Gyorko is off to a blazing start and he appears to be one of the few hitters that is taking good at-bats. He's swinging and missing and chasing at pitches at career lows and making contact at balls in the zone at a career high. His walk rate is also a career high at the moment. It's only three weeks, but still encouraging.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

1?

I wouldn't have said even top 10.

I'm not even disappointed with him.

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Post by Farewell Friends »

dmarx114 wrote:1?

I wouldn't have said even top 10.

I'm not even disappointed with him.
They gave him a big extension, there was talk of him being a Cy Young contender and he's one of the guys they need to get better. Expectations are high and he's been really, really bad the last three games.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

wart57 wrote:Martinez needs to spend a little less time on His Bo Derek hair and a little more time on his pitching...
The hair is throwing off his balance and causing his control issues. Not aerodynamic enough.