Re: Lyons up, Jhonny to the DL

Post by wart57 »

Tim wrote:

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Tim wrote:

so many upper respiratory issues/Jhonny choking jokes that could be made.

That, and the "respiratory issue" is the Cards can't swallow the remainder of his contract.

dan_yall
Veteran Player

Post by dan_yall »

I'm jhumping for jhoy.

jack76
Everyday Player

Post by jack76 »

I'm glad Jhonny is going to get a reset, but I can't muster up any hate. He has more than paid off his contract from production in the first few years. If the remaining 10 M is sunk cost, it was covered. He seems like a good guy and hope there is an amicable way for him to fade away gracefully.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

jack76 wrote:I'm glad Jhonny is going to get a reset, but I can't muster up any hate. He has more than paid off his contract from production in the first few years. If the remaining 10 M is sunk cost, it was covered. He seems like a good guy and hope there is an amicable way for him to fade away gracefully.
I get the impression he'd like to be doing anything other than baseball anyway.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I agree that the deal served the Cards well and if this season is wasted money then I'm perfectly fine with it. I would rather him be a waste of a roster space and never in the lineup or preferably on the DL where Matheny can't keep trying to run him out there hoping he'll suddenly find the fountain of youth.

And no matter what happens, I can't be mad at Peralta one single bit. If he's not producing after coming back from the DL and Matheny runs him out there every day to drag the team down then that isn't on Jhonny. That would be squarely on Matheny.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

jack76 wrote:I'm glad Jhonny is going to get a reset, but I can't muster up any hate. He has more than paid off his contract from production in the first few years. If the remaining 10 M is sunk cost, it was covered. He seems like a good guy and hope there is an amicable way for him to fade away gracefully.
I agree. In fairness, several posters mentioned when Peralta first signed that he was unlikely to be very productive at the end of his contract, and while I didn't think he'd fall to a Ty Wigginton-level of performance, it doesn't surprise me that he isn't really a starter at 3B at this point in his career.

I'm just surprised that someone could kneecap him on the QT in this day and age. Or maybe it was a horse's head in his bed.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

I think most feel this way. His fading away gracefully would be easier if Matheny didn't play him as much as he did. The joyous reaction is more related to Matheny no longer being able to shot his eye out cause Mo took away his Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle.
Last edited by vinsanity on April 20 17, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.