HOF Catchers

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

HOF Catchers

Post by Gashouse »

(probably discussed before disclaimer)

Screwing around on B-R and ended up on Catcher WAR / JAWS.

A couple of things jumped out at me:

Simba should totally be in the HOF (duh).

Despite multiple very average years lately, Mauer ranks pretty high. I don't think the voters will put him in, but he'll stay on the ballot for possibly all 10 years.

Posada ranks very high, yet he fell off the ballot after one year. I think he was a victim of a crowded ballot. I know his defense wasn't fantastic, but I think he could be a veteran's committee selection down the road.

I know Yadi has a lot of reputation etc, but the numbers say he needs a couple more good years. Being a contemporary with Posey (and to a lesser extent Pudge) hurts a little. Buster is much ahead of Yadi, but he's a couple years younger and has a good bat.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Re: HOF Catchers

Post by JoeMcKim »

Mauer is definitely hurt by the move to 1B where his numbers are much more pedestrian.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

Meaningless to me until Pagnozzi is in the discussion.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Pags was a beast behind the plate. With Pagnozzi, Matheny and Yadi the Cardinals not counting the Eli Marrero years have had a Gold Glove catcher behind the plate consistently since the early 90's.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

JoeMcKim wrote:Pags was a beast behind the plate. With Pagnozzi, Matheny and Yadi the Cardinals not counting the Eli Marrero years have had a Gold Glove catcher behind the plate consistently since the early 90's.
Tony Pena is hurt by your neglect.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Pena definitely should fit into that category also now that i think about it. There's like a year inbetween Pena and Pags where they thought that Zeile still could catch at the big league level. If Zeile was a bit better of a catcher not sure if we would've ever traded him, nor would Pags have ever really been given a chance to start.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Man, I had completely blacked out the entire Todd Zeile era. He was a super hyped prospect back in the day, and in hindsight, was an adequate player. But I remember at the time being super angry that he didn't become a superstar. I'm sure I have a box of 50 of his rookie cards in my parents' basement.

Leroy

Post by Leroy »

Plus he blew off a pregame autograph session once when I was there. I did get a Rene Arocha and Omar Oliveras ball though, so it was all good.

dan_yall
Veteran Player

Post by dan_yall »

heyzeus wrote:Man, I had completely blacked out the entire Todd Zeile era. He was a super hyped prospect back in the day, and in hindsight, was an adequate player. But I remember at the time being super angry that he didn't become a superstar. I'm sure I have a box of 50 of his rookie cards in my parents' basement.
I have a Todd Zeile Louisville Redbirds card in my attic that I thought was going to be worth a ton. I also have a ton of 90's comic books up there that were supposed to pay my way through college.

Leroy

Post by Leroy »

How'd that work out for ya?