Peralta health "scare"

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: Peralta health "scare"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

this is the trade off for keeping him around during the offseason. sure he is expensive and they'd have likely had to eat some of his contract to ship him off. He provides depth and could conceivably be the best 3Bman they have on the roster.

At the same time, in the event he declines further from last year, he's a liability that has to get some playing time in lieu of a guy like Gyorko or Garcia or Wong or Adams, all of whom will likely exceed his on field production.

As it is, I'm sure they wish they'd have traded him in the offseason. But, there was no guarantee Garcia/Wong/Gyorko would be playing like they are. Though, it was a pretty decent bet.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
As it is, I'm sure they wish they'd have traded him in the offseason. But, there was no guarantee Garcia/Wong/Gyorko would be playing like they are. Though, it was a pretty decent bet.
This is true. Gyorko is currently on like a 7 WAR pace, which obviously he can't keep up.

When/if all of our injured guys come back, either Peralta, Jmart, or Adams probably has to go. Thank you for your service, Jhonny, but you are the weakest link.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Didn't Jhonny have a pretty good spring training and looked like he was going to be OK? When did the issue with the medication start? I'm personally (some may say stupidly and I won't argue) holding out hope that he'll come back and be able to contribute and pick things up once JG inevitably slows down from this great start.