Maddon can't stop complaining.

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
obucard
Perennial All-Star

Re: Maddon can't stop complaining.

Post by obucard »

Not trying to be devil's advocate, but what he's saying is that people only started caring when it was a star that got hurt. If it was a 3rd-string unknown folks would have made the same "part of the game" nonsense they always spouted (and probably had a few "welcome to the big leagues" jokes lined up). The ban was a variation of the right thing for the wrong reason, and Maddon's focusing on the wrong reason part to complain about the rule. I guarantee the first time someone plows over Contreras Maddon will suddenly morph into MLB's biggest advocate for that rule (probably with a headhunting accusation with it).

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Re: Maddon can't stop complaining.

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

It's very similar to the situation that started this thread. Rizzo broke the rule, but in a way that didn't really impact much of anything. There's no rule against making contact with the catcher, and the slide itself didn't break the rule, it's that Rizzo's last step moved from just outside the line to just inside the line. If he hadn't done that and done everything else the same, I don't think anything on the play changes. They still collide, Rizzo is still out. It's probably frustrating to hear the whole situation called a 'cheap shot' by opponents given that, and Maddon is a former catcher himself so he's well aware of the nuances of those plays. I don't think his reply is really on the mark, but when answering a question about it I can get the sentiment that the situation is being sensationalized.