Jose Quintana traded to the Cubs

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Re: Jose Quintana traded to the Cubs

Post by Lesson »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:Maybe. There's just this infatuation with youth that I don't really get.

I'm sour on this season but not next. I really feel like one true cornerstone type of bat totally changes the complexion of this team. Completely affects how other teams approach the lineup.
If the Cardinals acquired Donaldson, what do you do with Gyorko? Move him to 2nd full time and get rid of Wong? He (Gyorko) should still be apart of the Cardinals long term plans, IMO.

The only position I feel could see requiring a long term solution and upgrade would be in LF.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Lesson wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:Maybe. There's just this infatuation with youth that I don't really get.

I'm sour on this season but not next. I really feel like one true cornerstone type of bat totally changes the complexion of this team. Completely affects how other teams approach the lineup.
If the Cardinals acquired Donaldson, what do you do with Gyorko? Move him to 2nd full time and get rid of Wong? He (Gyorko) should still be apart of the Cardinals long term plans, IMO.

The only position I feel could see requiring a long term solution and upgrade would be in LF.
Yes that's exactly what you do. You'll notice I included Wong in my trade proposal.

We have lots of middling players locked into long term deals. Just because they are there doesn't mean we shouldn't look at upgrades.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
dmarx114 wrote:
Just gonna have to agree to disagree on that type of trade. I don't think that makes the Cards better in 2018 since Gyorko is solid at 3rd. I can't give up Reyes for a slight upgrade.

Reyes needs to be the pawn for a big upgrade....and that's at SS or RF.
Who do you think the team should use Reyes to trade for?
go birds wrote:
the team needs to get younger.
http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/rosters

Filterable by average age of rosters. How much younger do you want the Cardinals to get?
Stanton

Johnconrad
Same Ole

Post by Johnconrad »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Lesson wrote:

Yes that's exactly what you do. You'll notice I included Wong in my trade proposal.

We have lots of middling players locked into long term deals. Just because they are there doesn't mean we shouldn't look at upgrades.
Lots of mediocrity - few, if any, stars.

Wong and now Piscotty on the Matt Adams career path in St. Louis

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

dmarx114 wrote:
Famous Mortimer wrote:
dmarx114 wrote:
Just gonna have to agree to disagree on that type of trade. I don't think that makes the Cards better in 2018 since Gyorko is solid at 3rd. I can't give up Reyes for a slight upgrade.

Reyes needs to be the pawn for a big upgrade....and that's at SS or RF.
Who do you think the team should use Reyes to trade for?
go birds wrote:
the team needs to get younger.
http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/rosters

Filterable by average age of rosters. How much younger do you want the Cardinals to get?
Stanton
Not young just good.

Johnconrad
Same Ole

Post by Johnconrad »

dmarx114 wrote:
Tim wrote:I am going to be super pissed when Stanton is dealt for the equivalent of Weaver, Bader and Diaz and we didn't do it.

We can afford a Stanton type deal. We need a Stanton type bat. We should have a Stanton type player.
Now this would be a fair criticism.

Granted, the criticism may be at ownership because of the Stanton's contract, but I would understand the outrage.
The real problem is this....

This has been THE SIGNIFICANT PROBLEM with the team every since Craig tanked.

No one can act like this is new. And, they have done NOTHING about it.

You can point to Gyorko as a great trade. And, it's true. Dude hit 30 bombs as a RESERVE last year.

STILL they had Peralta @3b on opening day.

So, Gyorko wasn't their solution to this issue... they really lucked out with both him and Diaz. And, now with just him.

Lethargy, inertia, and no sense of urgency.

Complacent arrogance - coupled with payroll reductions and increasing ticket prices.

Johnconrad
Same Ole

Post by Johnconrad »

I'll add this...

The "grow your own" approach has merit.

But, when you ain't growing something (power hitting position players), you have to trade some surplus to get it.

They've proven incompetent in this area.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Johnconrad wrote:

You can point to Gyorko as a great trade. And, it's true. Dude hit 30 bombs as a RESERVE last year.

So, Gyorko wasn't their solution to this issue... they really lucked out with both him and Diaz. And, now with just him.

Complacent arrogance - coupled with payroll reductions and increasing ticket prices.

I'm curious why you're even a fan. You seem to despise everything about the organization, really.

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Lesson wrote:

If that's the case, I have no issue with acquiring a 3B. I just don't think Donaldson is the right target due to his age.

Would much rather see the team be sellers and make a legit run after Machado next offseason while making a dedication to younger players instead of half assing an attempt at contending for this season and next.

I don't think Donaldson would be a half ass attempt at contending, I just don't view this season or next as the Cardinals' window for doing anything meaningful in the postseason.

Johnconrad
Same Ole

Post by Johnconrad »

Socnorb11 wrote:
Johnconrad wrote:

I'm curious why you're even a fan. You seem to despise everything about the organization, really.
I love following the team.

And, I hate incompetence and arrogance.

To each their own.