Interest in other Marlins outfielders

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Re: Interest in other Marlins outfielders

Post by Spider John »

In Goold's chat yesterday someone mentioned that Yelich had one of the highest hit exit speeds,which leads the Cards to think the power will come around.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Fat Strat wrote:Edit to add: Yelich might not be the prototype #3 hitter at this point, but the combo of Fowler, Yelich, and Carpenter is a run scoring nightmare for other teams. Especially when Piscotty gets things right. That's 4 players in a row who could easily be on base .375 and mashing doubles all over the field.
Basically a lot of what the Cubs had last year with Fowler - Zobrist - Rizzo - Bryant in whatever order they were batting.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

FWIW; Yelich is the Number 3 hitter in the Marlins lineup. Stanton bats 2nd and Ozuna 4.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Fat Strat wrote:
tlombard wrote:I don't get the preference for Yelich over Ozuna at all. Sure, Yelich would be a nice upgrade over what the Cards have but he isn't the one I want hitting in the three hole. That's Stanton or Ozuna if we're talking trade targets from the Marlins.
Really splitting hairs here, but this is my take:

Ozuna is pretty much a "what you see is what you get" player. He has power, but that comes with limited contact skills and good, not awesome OBP potential. Sure, he's having an incredible year with his ISO, but that looks real flukey compared to the rest of his career.

Yelich seems to be viewed as a player who is still developing. All of the projections seem to think that he'll show more power and his splits seem to indicate that outside of Miami, he has some power. Add that to his terrific on base skills, his defense and speed and contact ability... he's attractive.

Take all that for what it's worth. I think you could debate this all day. Ozuna is a .270 hitter with quite a bit of power and acceptable OBP and defense in a corner. Yelich is a .300 hitter with decent power, exceptional OBP and good defense in CF.

Edit to add: Yelich might not be the prototype #3 hitter at this point, but the combo of Fowler, Yelich, and Carpenter is a run scoring nightmare for other teams. Especially when Piscotty gets things right. That's 4 players in a row who could easily be on base .375 and mashing doubles all over the field.

I guess part of my deal with Yelich vs. Ozuna is that while Yelich may develop more power, right now I'm at the point where I don't want anybody with 'potential' to develop power or any other stat. I'm fine with the 'what you see is what you get' at the moment. We've been waiting on these breakthroughs for a few players in recent years and I just don't have the patience for yet another when it comes to making a move. You can get a legit 3 hole hitter with power right now or you can take a chance on one that may develop into one (an even better one admittedly) or not. If a move is going to be made, I just don't want it to be one that is hopefully of power developing. That being said, give me Yelich and either Ozuna or Stanton (or even all three) and I'd be absolutely thrilled. Let's just swap outfields and throw a few prospects their way.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Not that you could for various reasons (#1 Fowler's NTC) but if you tried to swap outfields like people are saying; you do the Fowler/Piscotty/Grichuk/++ for Stanton/Yelich/Ozuna; who do you think you need to add to the Cardinals package to get the deal done? I know it is not something that will happen or even be discussed seriously; but I am curious what people think it would take. Add on of a Reyes or a Weaver? More?

Johnconrad
Same Ole

Post by Johnconrad »

CardsofSTL wrote:Not that you could for various reasons (#1 Fowler's NTC) but if you tried to swap outfields like people are saying; you do the Fowler/Piscotty/Grichuk/++ for Stanton/Yelich/Ozuna; who do you think you need to add to the Cardinals package to get the deal done? I know it is not something that will happen or even be discussed seriously; but I am curious what people think it would take. Add on of a Reyes or a Weaver? More?
Man, I'd seriously take Stanton's contract if they're dumb enough to take Fowler's and Piscotty's contracts.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

fwiw - kind of a long read
A trade proposal for Giancarlo Stanton and Christian Yelich of the Marlins
5 comments
If the Cards are going to go for it, they need to make some big moves. This certainly qualifies.
by Ben_Markham@Ben__Markham Jul 20, 2017, 9:00am EDT
https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2017/7/20/ ... ian-yelich

misterManager
Everyday Player

Post by misterManager »

Jocephus wrote:fwiw - kind of a long read
A trade proposal for Giancarlo Stanton and Christian Yelich of the Marlins
5 comments
If the Cards are going to go for it, they need to make some big moves. This certainly qualifies.
by Ben_Markham@Ben__Markham Jul 20, 2017, 9:00am EDT
https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2017/7/20/ ... ian-yelich
That's...a very long read. Well-thought-out though.

I see the Miami sell-off as maybe one of two or three ways to reshape the franchise for the next few years. It's either sell hard and build around ~2019-20, spend big on the FA market for a bat, or hope for a better showing with Reyes next year. I like taking on the money from Stanton with the chance for him to opt-out and give us a natural reset offseason come 2020.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »