He's Phamtastic!

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

He's Phamtastic!

Post by dmarx114 »

At what point do we acknowledge how good Tommy Pham has been this season and discuss him being pegged as a full time starter next season?

.311/.398/.530/.927, 12 homers, 12 steals, great defense, 3.2 WAR, in 63 games played.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: He's Phamtastic!

Post by CardsofSTL »

I think it's been acknowledged here. When I questioned him getting sat down a game just before the Break I recall someone jumping my [expletive] about it though.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

He's a redass
Need more like him

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

This is the Tommy Pham the Cardinals have dreamed of for a long time. It's an awesome testament to Tommy's persistence. It's also a testament to the Cardinals front office to have enough patience to wait this long for it all to click. Tommy Pham with full health, vision, and opportunity is very good. And fun to watch.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

It's really hard to argue that what he's doing right now is sustainable, but it's not all luck either. A .386 BABIP and over 53% of his balls are GB's... that combo usually leads to a decline. But, his LD% is good (and has been for his career). His BB rate is and has been excellent. His defense is very good and has been very good. His power isn't fake. Even a decline to normal BABIP levels doesn't make him a replacement level player, as we might have viewed him coming into the season.

I have no idea what he really is, but I have no problem running him out there until the pixie dust wears off. I still wouldn't make plans around him.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

If he was 24 instead of 29 he'd be one of the most heralded new talents in the game. He's been that good. Unfortunately he's 29 and very unlikely to ever cash in on free agency. But he'll probably prove to be the most valuable player by WAR on the team this year.

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

Tim wrote:He's a redass
Need more like him
It's easy to see that he plays with more of an edge than most everybody else. Hopefully as he gets some standing in the clubhouse he will get in someone's face if needed. I don't know if I've ever heard of anyone doing that's on the roster now.

Johnconrad
Same Ole

Post by Johnconrad »

He looks great.

Corrected vision cuts down that horrific 42% strikeout rate from last season.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

I'm going to enjoy the Pham ride for however long it lasts

sjgoten6
All-Star

Post by sjgoten6 »

I've always liked Pham even last year and wanted him as everyday player. I'm just glad his abilities are on full display but I always thought the contacts thing was a fluke, maybe not.