Cardinals have lost their Way under Matheny

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: Cardinals have lost their Way under Matheny

Post by Jocephus »

Powered by Jay Bruce
12:44
Why do you think Matheny is out? He still seems to have the support of ownership.

Dave Cameron
12:44
He's not good at strategy or tactics, and now the franchise player is openly wishing for someone else to be in charge.
It's a problem.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

haltz wrote:I don't think a lack of fundamentals is unique to the Cardinals or really that big of a deal. You have kids coming out of showcase baseball and the game is played differently than it was 20 or 30 years ago. Get off my lawn etc.
I think this is right. I've been either watching or assistant coaching little league for about 8 years now. I've met one coach who taught what I'd consider anything resembling technique in the field, or baserunning. And it wasn't me. I hardly played, so I know what I know from here and my Dad (who learned playing pick up games in the neighborhood) and watching games on TV.

Coaches do basic stuff in teeball and pee-wee. Don't leave the bag until the ball is caught. Elbow up, shift your weight, etc... But I've never heard coaching on routes, footwork, except from this one coach. I suspect there's a couple others who I haven't directly interacted with, but it's a minority.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

The perception around Matheny is really something. He's just a guy. He doesn't move the needle much one way or another and rarely says anything terribly noteworthy. Yet people love to obsess about him. Maybe it's a St. Louis thing. Cardinals fans obsessed about La Russa, too, but at least he was interesting in his eccentricity. Matheny is the generic manager they make up in a video game when they don't have the real manager's permission to use his name.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

ortiz with a fluff piece...er, human interest

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... 530f4.html

Johnconrad
Same Ole

Post by Johnconrad »

jagtrader wrote:The perception around Matheny is really something. He's just a guy. He doesn't move the needle much one way or another and rarely says anything terribly noteworthy. Yet people love to obsess about him. Maybe it's a St. Louis thing. Cardinals fans obsessed about La Russa, too, but at least he was interesting in his eccentricity. Matheny is the generic manager they make up in a video game when they don't have the real manager's permission to use his name.
I think the frustration is likely because he plays a losing hand for far too long.

How long did it take him to remove Oh from closing duties? How many games did it cost the team?

There are numerous examples.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Johnconrad wrote:
I think the frustration is likely because he plays a losing hand for far too long.

How long did it take him to remove Oh from closing duties? How many games did it cost the team?
5 games

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

2.5 games back. If anyone loves the Cubs underachieving, it may be Matheny. How the hell are we 2.5 back?

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:2.5 games back. If anyone loves the Cubs underachieving, it may be Matheny. How the hell are we 2.5 back?
#we'regood

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Might as well win the division, I guess.

#ineverdoubted #golamecards

That second one doesn't mean I want the Cardinals to become infirm, it means I want the lamest Cardinals team in 20+ years (from a personal perspective at least, it isn't even close) to achieve.

Johnconrad
Same Ole

Post by Johnconrad »

CardsofSTL wrote:
Johnconrad wrote:

5 games
None of those would help, eh?