GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 17 19, 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bader time
PostPosted: July 8 19, 11:19 am 
Master of Hyperbole

Is it a sophomore slump? I don't believe it is. His minor league numbers were about similar.

He was a low walk/high K guy with BABIP reliant hitting numbers in the minors and now is in the majors too. You can't point to his BABIP without mentioning that his walk rate is also higher than norms. So if the hitting goes up from BABIP, then you'd have to assume walk rate goes down too, right? Or do we get to pick and choose? I am not "crapping" on him. I just don't think he's very good at the plate. Good glove but nothing else.

I dislike the Kiermaier comp and I think it's disingenuous when people make it. Bader has 748 PAs and slugs sub-.400. That's weak. Kevin K is a better hitter and maybe a better fielder too (as he leads Bader in Statcast OAA and FG defensive numbers). And because Kevin K gets on base more, he steals more and scores from first base more, moves from first to third more, etc. = higher value).

I don't see how you can look at the samples on defense (really low) and be okay with those but not think 748 PAs is in "predictive/this is who he is" territory.

PostPosted: July 8 19, 2:23 pm 
All-Star

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
Is it a sophomore slump? I don't believe it is. His minor league numbers were about similar.

He was a low walk/high K guy with BABIP reliant hitting numbers in the minors and now is in the majors too. You can't point to his BABIP without mentioning that his walk rate is also higher than norms. So if the hitting goes up from BABIP, then you'd have to assume walk rate goes down too, right? Or do we get to pick and choose? I am not "crapping" on him. I just don't think he's very good at the plate. Good glove but nothing else.

I dislike the Kiermaier comp and I think it's disingenuous when people make it. Bader has 748 PAs and slugs sub-.400. That's weak. Kevin K is a better hitter and maybe a better fielder too (as he leads Bader in Statcast OAA and FG defensive numbers). And because Kevin K gets on base more, he steals more and scores from first base more, moves from first to third more, etc. = higher value).

I don't see how you can look at the samples on defense (really low) and be okay with those but not think 748 PAs is in "predictive/this is who he is" territory.

Serious question: do you misread people's comments on purpose so that you can make the argument you want to make, or are your misreadings always honest mistakes? I hope it's the latter, but it happens so frequently that it seems like the former.

Here, for instance, Fat makes a comparison between Bader and Keirmaier on defense. You reply as if he were comparing them on offense, and then call the comparison "disingenuous," as if Fat somehow didn't really mean what he wrote.

This style isn't really conducive to productive discussions.

PostPosted: July 8 19, 2:43 pm 
Master of Hyperbole

1. I said "when people make" so I was being more broad (to allow room for an extra point beyond Fat's statement).

2. Fat has compared him to Keirmaier on both sides earlier in this thread. But that wasn't the point of my comment now was it? There's many defensive stars out there (Mags Sierra, remember him) so the bat is kind of crucial to how many innings they play on defense. It brings home the whole overall point. Keirmaier plays many innings because of his bat.

3. I brought up defense too.

4. Give me another example of a post of what you're talking about because I have no idea.

PostPosted: July 8 19, 4:12 pm 
All Hail the New GDT Master

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
4. Give me another example of a post of what you're talking about because I have no idea.

How about don't? If you guys want to debate your personal styling as posters I encourage you to do so via PMs. Otherwise keep the conversation on the subject matter, not each other. K/thx

PostPosted: July 8 19, 9:51 pm 
Veteran Player

Has the Vader theme from the attitude era been posted yet? I remember it being so heavy.

I don't have anything to add about Bader.

PostPosted: July 9 19, 12:50 pm 
Veteran Player

Bader would be a good player , if he had a Idea ! on how to actually hit...he looks clueless alot...

PostPosted: July 28 19, 6:03 pm 
Master of Hyperbole

PostPosted: July 28 19, 6:58 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Big Amoco Sign wrote:

7? Is that all?

PostPosted: July 29 19, 6:13 am 
Veteran Player

Jayramball04 wrote:
Bader would be a good player , if he had a Idea ! on how to actually hit...he looks clueless alot...

I agree, but his Samurai bat twirl is impressive.

PostPosted: July 29 19, 3:16 pm 
Mayor of GRB

I'm biding my time on Bader Time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next