Bader time

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: Bader time

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Is it a sophomore slump? I don't believe it is. His minor league numbers were about similar.

He was a low walk/high K guy with BABIP reliant hitting numbers in the minors and now is in the majors too. You can't point to his BABIP without mentioning that his walk rate is also higher than norms. So if the hitting goes up from BABIP, then you'd have to assume walk rate goes down too, right? Or do we get to pick and choose? I am not "crapping" on him. I just don't think he's very good at the plate. Good glove but nothing else.

I dislike the Kiermaier comp and I think it's disingenuous when people make it. Bader has 748 PAs and slugs sub-.400. That's weak. Kevin K is a better hitter and maybe a better fielder too (as he leads Bader in Statcast OAA and FG defensive numbers). And because Kevin K gets on base more, he steals more and scores from first base more, moves from first to third more, etc. = higher value).

I don't see how you can look at the samples on defense (really low) and be okay with those but not think 748 PAs is in "predictive/this is who he is" territory.

cardinalsx
All-Star

Post by cardinalsx »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:Is it a sophomore slump? I don't believe it is. His minor league numbers were about similar.

He was a low walk/high K guy with BABIP reliant hitting numbers in the minors and now is in the majors too. You can't point to his BABIP without mentioning that his walk rate is also higher than norms. So if the hitting goes up from BABIP, then you'd have to assume walk rate goes down too, right? Or do we get to pick and choose? I am not "crapping" on him. I just don't think he's very good at the plate. Good glove but nothing else.

I dislike the Kiermaier comp and I think it's disingenuous when people make it. Bader has 748 PAs and slugs sub-.400. That's weak. Kevin K is a better hitter and maybe a better fielder too (as he leads Bader in Statcast OAA and FG defensive numbers). And because Kevin K gets on base more, he steals more and scores from first base more, moves from first to third more, etc. = higher value).

I don't see how you can look at the samples on defense (really low) and be okay with those but not think 748 PAs is in "predictive/this is who he is" territory.
Serious question: do you misread people's comments on purpose so that you can make the argument you want to make, or are your misreadings always honest mistakes? I hope it's the latter, but it happens so frequently that it seems like the former.

Here, for instance, Fat makes a comparison between Bader and Keirmaier on defense. You reply as if he were comparing them on offense, and then call the comparison "disingenuous," as if Fat somehow didn't really mean what he wrote.

This style isn't really conducive to productive discussions.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

1. I said "when people make" so I was being more broad (to allow room for an extra point beyond Fat's statement).

2. Fat has compared him to Keirmaier on both sides earlier in this thread. But that wasn't the point of my comment now was it? There's many defensive stars out there (Mags Sierra, remember him) so the bat is kind of crucial to how many innings they play on defense. It brings home the whole overall point. Keirmaier plays many innings because of his bat.

3. I brought up defense too.

4. Give me another example of a post of what you're talking about because I have no idea.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Big Amoco Sign wrote: 4. Give me another example of a post of what you're talking about because I have no idea.
How about don't? If you guys want to debate your personal styling as posters I encourage you to do so via PMs. Otherwise keep the conversation on the subject matter, not each other. K/thx

jkline
Veteran Player

Post by jkline »

Has the Vader theme from the attitude era been posted yet? I remember it being so heavy.

I don't have anything to add about Bader.

Jayramball04
All-Star

Post by Jayramball04 »

Bader would be a good player , if he had a Idea ! on how to actually hit...he looks clueless alot...

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
7? Is that all?

booger71
All-Star

Post by booger71 »

Jayramball04 wrote:Bader would be a good player , if he had a Idea ! on how to actually hit...he looks clueless alot...
I agree, but his Samurai bat twirl is impressive.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

I'm biding my time on Bader Time.