Goldschmidt Heating Up?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Goldschmidt Heating Up?

Post by TheoSqua »

Ten games prior to today: .278/.350/.611/.961

I know it's small sample size, but he's looked good the last few games. Would be nice if he could keep that up in the second half.

tlombard
tl;dr

Re: Goldschmidt Heating Up?

Post by tlombard »

If only foul balls that would have been home runs if the foul pole was 20 feet to the left was a statistic that meant something. He would be leading all of baseball in that category!

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Yes

Medwick's_Ghost
I'm a jerker by nature....

Post by Medwick's_Ghost »

tlombard wrote:If only foul balls that would have been home runs if the foul pole was 20 feet to the left was a statistic that meant something. He would be leading all of baseball in that category!
He IS pull-happy. When they pitch him inside he pulls it foul. After he gets 2 strikes they go way outside and he tries to protect. It's an effective formula except when they hang a pitch down the middle like yesterday. He can pound the sh*t out of those.

I don't see him "heating up" particularly. But like Wong and Bader, I don't mind if he bats .220-250 because his D is great, better than Big City even.

sjgoten6
All-Star

Post by sjgoten6 »

Medwick's_Ghost wrote:But like Wong and Bader, I don't mind if he bats .220-250 because his D is great, better than Big City even.
Snicker...yeah I'm immature...
Last edited by sjgoten6 on July 18 19, 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Medwick's_Ghost wrote:
tlombard wrote:If only foul balls that would have been home runs if the foul pole was 20 feet to the left was a statistic that meant something. He would be leading all of baseball in that category!
He IS pull-happy. When they pitch him inside he pulls it foul. After he gets 2 strikes they go way outside and he tries to protect. It's an effective formula except when they hang a pitch down the middle like yesterday. He can pound the sh*t out of those.

I don't see him "heating up" particularly. But like Wong and Bader, I don't mind if he bats .220-250 because his D is great, better than Big City even.
Matt Adams wasn't good at 1B defense. Just average. In 4200+ innings at 1B (good sample for UZR) he had a 0.9 UZR.

Goldschmidt has a 15.9 UZR at 1B and at 8600+ innings. It's not just better, but much better.

Goldschmidt owns all of baseball since he's been a starter in double plays finished. And top 3 in 1B scoops.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:Goldschmidt owns all of baseball since he's been a starter in double plays finished. And top 3 in 1B scoops.
I would think those two skills are really the same skill as double plays probably (no stats to confirm this) require a 1b'man to scoop more than your average ground ball out. Better at scooping should lead to more DPs'.

A first baseman that can really pick it is more important for us than some clubs as 3/5'ths of our rotation is almost entirely dependent on ground balls. I know Hudson and AW are outperforming their peripherals, but their high GB rates and our superior infield defense (outside of 3b) mesh well, when it comes to performance vs actual runs allowed. Mikolas should be benefiting as well, and would be if his HR rate wasn't through the roof.

BTW, Hudson has an insane 3.3 GB/FB rate. That's by far the best in the league, but right in line with his limited '18 stats. It's also in line with other guys with great sinkers -- Brandon Webb in particular. Is it real? I think it might be. In fact, Webb also started with higher-than-you-would-expect BB rate and similar K numbers to Hudson. He corrected that and became dominant. I've been saying for a long time that Hudson should have better control than he has and he showed better control in the minors. Can he find it? I'm not saying that Husdon is Brandon Webb, just that if we're trying to understand what Hudson is, maybe a guy like Webb or Derick Lowe might not be a crazy place to start looking.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Fat Strat wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:Goldschmidt owns all of baseball since he's been a starter in double plays finished. And top 3 in 1B scoops.
I would think those two skills are really the same skill as double plays probably (no stats to confirm this) require a 1b'man to scoop more than your average ground ball out. Better at scooping should lead to more DPs'.

A first baseman that can really pick it is more important for us than some clubs as 3/5'ths of our rotation is almost entirely dependent on ground balls. I know Hudson and AW are outperforming their peripherals, but their high GB rates and our superior infield defense (outside of 3b) mesh well, when it comes to performance vs actual runs allowed. Mikolas should be benefiting as well, and would be if his HR rate wasn't through the roof.

BTW, Hudson has an insane 3.3 GB/FB rate. That's by far the best in the league, but right in line with his limited '18 stats. It's also in line with other guys with great sinkers -- Brandon Webb in particular. Is it real? I think it might be. In fact, Webb also started with higher-than-you-would-expect BB rate and similar K numbers to Hudson. He corrected that and became dominant. I've been saying for a long time that Hudson should have better control than he has and he showed better control in the minors. Can he find it? I'm not saying that Husdon is Brandon Webb, just that if we're trying to understand what Hudson is, maybe a guy like Webb or Derick Lowe might not be a crazy place to start looking.
Don't want to make this a Hudson thread but how long do you think he has with that 5 FIP of his? I still felt like he was Maness with a starter's arm. Can't get ground ball outs giving up 4 walks per 9. But for a number 5 starter in a league moving to openers, I think he works as a counter to other teams' sabe methods.

Seems Cardinals really only care about GB generating. Carlos and Miles are great at it too. I think they'll always be a pitch-to-contact team to save money not paying top dollar for the inefficient K guy.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Medwick's_Ghost wrote:

96.3 mph fast balls on the inside black are "hangers" now?

Medwick's_Ghost
I'm a jerker by nature....

Post by Medwick's_Ghost »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
Medwick's_Ghost wrote:

96.3 mph fast balls on the inside black are "hangers" now?
I can't be sure, but it seems to me if one was guessing fastball correctly and it was delivered in your sweet spot that 95 mph is no big deal. I don't think it was on the inside black or he would have yanked it fowl like he's been doing a LOT of lately.

But my main point is that his glove is invaluable. Answer me this, Cake: name a previous Cardinal 1B man that defended better than Goldy. I can't think of one in recent years (recent meaning 20 or so)