8/22 GDT: Padres(Richard) vs. Cardinals(Lynn) 7:15 PM CT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: 8/22 GDT: Padres(Richard) vs. Cardinals(Lynn) 7:15 PM CT

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

dmarx114 wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:You've yet to posit a theory of your own, nor have you explained why one month of rotation troubles is more problematic than a half season of lineup troubles.
The bullpen is a disaster. Going into the season, it looked bad on paper. Then Oh was terrible and Cecil was worse. It's the single biggest reason why we will likely miss the playoffs.

Martinez, Lynn, and wacha have been ok.

Waino is hurt and leake is slumping.

Blaming their struggles on first half below average offense is just ridiculous though.

I disagree. The single biggest reason is that the offense was hot garbage up until about three or four weeks ago. Starters getting pulled after 7 innings with a 2-1 lead to see it turned into a 3-2 loss is easy to blame on the pen. It also completely negates the offense scored just 2 runs. Pens are volatile from year to year, your lineup should be better.

Johnconrad
Same Ole

Post by Johnconrad »

Well, the lineup is fixed.

Just like Siegrist's rehab will fix the bullpen.

I was making a list in my head today

Jason Motte
Mitchell Boggs
Edward Mujica
Seth Maness
Trevor Rosenthal
Jordan Walden
Zach Duke
Kevin Siegrist
Matthew Bowman
Trevor Rosenthal

Pretty impressive list of arm damage for only 5 years work.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
dmarx114 wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:You've yet to posit a theory of your own, nor have you explained why one month of rotation troubles is more problematic than a half season of lineup troubles.
The bullpen is a disaster. Going into the season, it looked bad on paper. Then Oh was terrible and Cecil was worse. It's the single biggest reason why we will likely miss the playoffs.

Blaming their struggles on first half below average offense is just ridiculous though.

I disagree. The single biggest reason is that the offense was hot garbage up until about three or four weeks ago. Starters getting pulled after 7 innings with a 2-1 lead to see it turned into a 3-2 loss is easy to blame on the pen. It also completely negates the offense scored just 2 runs. Pens are volatile from year to year, your lineup should be better.
At least that's debateable.

I still can't get over blaming the bad pitching on below average offense.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

dmarx114 wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
dmarx114 wrote:

At least that's debateable.

I still can't get over blaming the bad pitching on below average offense.
Again, you don't have to.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

dmarx114 wrote:Let's go 6-0 on this homestand.
This didn't age well.